Kawasaki W800

Today, a little present from Mrs:

Toolroll.JPG

Isn't that lovely? Noticed the plastic tool pack was splitting so she made this - and it's compact enough to fit under the saddle.

That's just the original toolkit but I might add a couple of Allen keys and maybe a length of fixing wire? Might even substitute better spanners.

Luckily, the bike has been completely reliable and I've never needed to use the toolkit, apart from the Maxton suspension C-spanner.

Last edited:
Today, a little present from Mrs:

View attachment 191125

Isn't that lovely? Noticed the plastic tool pack was splitting so she made this - and it's compact enough to fit under the saddle.

That's just the original toolkit but I might add a couple of Allen keys and maybe a length of fixing wire? Might even substitute better spanners.

Luckily, the bike has been completely reliable and I've never need to use the toolkit, apart from the Maxton suspension C-spanner.

Very nice Raymond - she is definitely a keeper!

Pete

Couple questions on your W. I Jus picked up my 2021 w800 Classic or standard .Did u follow the manual guidelines regarding break-in?
I had it up to 6000 rpm on way home never thinking about it and realized after reading the manual lol.Hopefully I did no damage.
Kawasaki dosent want u takin it over 4000 rpms for first 1000 kilometres. I find that really hard to do for some reason. I dumped the oil after 100 kilometres as it looked black already. Put some 10/40 mineral oil but no filter change.Will do oil /filter at 1000 kilometres as per manual. Lots off noises from this motor I find.
Mechanical noises, more than my xs650. Have u had to reshim the valves yet? Thx for any guidance

Hi Junkie, there are so many opinions about running in a new engine. I basically followed the book and kept revs down for the first few hundred miles. Though I probably let them wander a bit above the recommended limit from time to time as the miles went on.

Not surprised if the oil is dark after 100 km but would be surprised if it is black and thin like something out of a diesel Land Rover? Hopefully yours still felt oily if rubbed between thumb and finger? Keep an eye on it and keep the oil at the right level, remember to check with both wheels on level ground. If you check the window with the bike on the centre-stand you will overfill.

When I change the oil, I always change the filter as well. I use Hi-Flo HF303 which is cheaper than oem and just as good.

There will be some noise from the valve gear. It's very subjective, on the W800 forum a few people say the bevel drive to the OHC is a bit noisy, other people don't and it may be that some bikes really do have a bit more lash or it may be that some owners notice it more. The usual advice is not to tinker with the bevel drive unless you really need to. If it ain't broke . . .

At the end of a run, I used to notice a loud whine from the fuel pump. In those days, a few years back, I used to see how many miles I could get from one tankful and it was pushing on towards 200 miles. Then a fellow member had a fuel pump failure. It was replaced under warranty but the dealer told him the pump relies on re-circulated fuel for cooling, so don't let the level get too low. That worried me a little so now I fill up when the warning light come on or even before then, say at 120-140 miles. The whine has stopped.

Have only adjusted the valve shims once. My records tell me that was at 14,327 miles so I suppose it's due again. But I'll probably leave it until winter. Only had to change one shim, the l/h exhaust had opened up a little.

Hope this helps.

Thx Raymond, great advise and info.
What oil viscosity r u using? I think for summer only riding here in Canada 10w 40 may be a bit thin for an air cooled bike, I use 20w50 on the xs650.
I use Hi flow on the CD and will probably use on W after warranty runs out. I can’t seem to find a W forum, can u recommend one Thx
Ps: I grew up in Ireland and luv the twins. Worth mentioning I had a 08 Sporster with fuel injection and had the same pump wine when tank for low!

I use Putoline Sport 4 10w40 Semi. Largely because the village m/c engineer stocks it. He keeps Hi-Flo filters and makes sure he has the ones I need for my bikes. It's great to be able to wander along the village main street and pick up the things I need to service the bikes.

Joined The Lonely Ones: https://thelonelyones.co.uk/ when I bought my W800 in 2014. We're not a huge group like XS650.com but there is a lot of experience and information on W650, W800, Enfields and has been described as the most polite place on the internet. Mostly Brits but a few Canadians, Americans, Australians, Belgians and assorted others.

Maybe see you around?

I use Putoline Sport 4 10w40 Semi. Largely because the village m/c engineer stocks it. He keeps Hi-Flo filters and makes sure he has the ones I need for my bikes. It's great to be able to wander along the village main street and pick up the things I need to service the bikes.

Joined The Lonely Ones: https://thelonelyones.co.uk/ when I bought my W800 in 2014. We're not a huge group like XS650.com but there is a lot of experience and information on W650, W800, Enfields and has been described as the most polite place on the internet. Mostly Brits but a few Canadians, Americans, Australians, Belgians and assorted others.

Maybe see you around?
Thx talk there, lol

Pretty Little Polly Perkins:

PICT2618.JPG PICT2619.JPG PICT2620.JPG PICT2621.JPG

Polly is booked for MoT next week and I don't think it's cheating to wash the bike?

Age is starting to show. And same with the bike. Engine not as black as it was, paint flaking a bit from the wheel rims, esp front. But hey, 32,000 miles and the tank still comes up lovely with a spot of polish. Still think this is the prettiest bike I've owned.

Engine not as black as it was,

Beautiful bike. :cool:
Do you use anything on your black motors finish? Back in the 70’s when I had my XS750 with a black motor, I used to apply Armor All to the black finish and it kept it looking nice. I do believe they make other products now that will bring back the look of the black finish. ( In fact I just googled it, there are numerous products, that I won’t list here because you will probably have different products available on your side of the pond.) :)

Bob, I regret to say it's largely my fault that the finish has deteriorated - I spend more time riding than polishing, as it were. Of the three bikes in the garage, this is the only one I've owned from new.

Have done my own servicing right from new, keep on top of all technical maintenance such as oil changes, adjusting and lubing the chain, etcetera, wash the bike from time to time, sometimes polish the tank and side panels, the odd time might use a rag and kerosene to wipe off tar or stubborn stains and very occasionally apply 'Back to Black' to the engine. Think it's a silicone product?

Tell meself that one day I'll give the bike a thorough going-over . . . but it would need more than just a cleaning session.

I've always had limited time, so riding always took the win. Last bike I had was an 04 883 Sporty. The chrome/ polished aluminum was pretty scratched. I ended up "Buffing" it up with red scotch brite pads. Kind of a brushed nickel look. The next owner seemed to dig it also.

Anybody use Michelin Pilot Road 4s or 5s? I replaced the original Dunlops on the FJ with a set of 4s and got significantly better feel and mileage out of them. I noticed the "do it now" bars are showing on the rear, I'll probably put a set of 5s on it later this Spring.
ive got the pilot 5s on my 2014 vstrom 1000 they are the best tyres I've ridden on, I found the 4s squirmy when leaned over too many rain water cuts in the profile the 5s are very good in the wet as well. if you saw the typr of roads we ride on here in New Zealand lots of twisty tight and fast corners you need good tyres.

Today was one of those fairly unusual days when Polly and Miss November have both had a decent run. Like, over fifty miles each.

PICT2710.JPG PICT2712.JPG

Which of course invites further comparisons.

The W800 is just such an easy bike to ride. Everything is easy to use. For example, the clutch - it's light, take-up is predictable and smooth, hardly ever needs adjustment, certainly one of the best on any bike I've ridden. And everything else is similarly easy. Throttle is smooth and predictable, brakes . . . well, I'm sure you get the drift.

The handling is easy as well, though at the moment I'm having doubts about the rear Kenda tyre. Feels very odd, especially at low speeds. I think I said this before but it feels as if there's a front tyre in there. So this afternoon, having been out in the morning on the XS, took the opportunity to go for a couple of errands with the W800 on the same back roads where the six-fifty does most miles. Just to see how the two bikes compare.

That odd feeling from the handling recedes from attention after a few miles at road speeds. It's still there, and becomes more noticeable when we're back in town & village speed limits. Maybe I'll change the rear tyre for summat else? But all-in-all, the W800 handles well doing the job it's built for. Both bikes let you feel secure tackling a rider's road - hills, bends, variable surfaces, light traffic, the odd sprinkling of junctions and other hazards. Just to keep us on our toes.

It's faster than the XS - well it's newer, larger displacement, higher geared, more torque. But real-world faster too - on familiar roads, you often find yourself going maybe 10 mph more than on the Yamaha. Of course, if you really want to go faster, the XS will do that but always feels like it's working harder. Maybe it's because heavier engine internals are more reluctant to spin up? Vibrates more too.

Does this makes the Yamaha sound lacking? Not as good as the Kawasaki in any department? No, that would not be fair.

I really like the feel of a heavier-flywheel engine. When we're out and about on Scottish Borders roads, the XS fills the rôle of gentleman's motorcycle very well. Normally, when we're not in a hurry, just one gear will suffice for quite long stretches. Top gear is fine for speeds down to about 40-ish without feeling like the engine is being lugged. Sounds good, only a little bit louder than the Kawasaki, but more of a pulse. More character too, whatever that is?

Parked in public, both get attention. In a good way. I think the questions go on for a bit longer with the Yamaha. People sound incredulous that Miss November is forty-three years old.

Of course, you know this comparison won't reach a conclusion. If it did, I'd probably feel I ought to sell one of 'em. Steady on . . .

Last edited:
I was just sitting here on a Sunday morning, drinking coffee , when I read this. :)
That’s a nice little comparison Raymond, it’s always interesting to hear an owners take on a particular model. When you read professional journalist reports, it’s usually some young guy who go’s out and flogs the bike like he’s on a race course, then complains about the lack of power or handling. I always like to hear real world observations from regular folks. Keep it up, I always enjoy your posts Raymond! :thumbsup:

I was just sitting here on a Sunday morning, drinking coffee , when I read this. :)
That’s a nice little comparison Raymond, it’s always interesting to hear an owners take on a particular model. When you read professional journalist reports, it’s usually some young guy who go’s out and flogs the bike like he’s on a race course, then complains about the lack of power or handling. I always like to hear real world observations from regular folks. Keep it up, I always enjoy your posts Raymond! :thumbsup:

Totally agree - and also, your basic conclusions about the W800 are in line with those of one of my riding buddies here who has one. Overall, a thoroughly nice bike!

I just wish they were more common hereabouts - but as I said in another thread, I think that the Royal Enfield Interceptor craze may prompt the J4 to bring out a lot more sensibly designed (i.e. NON-fugly) and traditional looking bikes with reasonable ergonomics for the non-hipster crowd.

Pete

Last edited:
Thank you, gentlemen!

Bob, we're all here to inform, educate and entertain each other and in general we all do. But it's nice to hear you enjoy my posts.

. . . I think that the Royal Enfield Interceptor craze may prompt the J4 to bring out a lot more sensibly designed (i.e. NON-fugly) and traditional looking bikes with reasonable ergonomics for the non-hipster crowd.

Pete, I hope you are correct! The direction of progress is not very favourable, with things like mandatory speed limiters on the horizon. Not to mention e-bikes. A lot of people who have the older, carburetted W650 prefer it to the W800. And of course, people who have had a chance to compare the early W800s say they are simpler & better than the newly-resurrected species on sale the last couple of years.

My definition of 'progress', after years struggling against the planning process - the general tendency over time for things to go from bad to worse.

Back