Kickback

gps2

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got my XS running and took it for its maiden voyage up the driveway and back. The motor is fresh with 1st over pistons, PWK carbs, Pamco, etc. I have not gotten the electric starter functioning yet but can start it with the kickstarter ok. I have not yet synced carbs or adjusted timing.

When kicking it over, it will frequently kick me back. Is this a timing issue?
Thanks guys.

Posted via Mobile

Getting the timing right will help it start and run better. Check it at idle and 3000 rpms. At 3000 rpms the timing mark should advance over to, but never past the full advance mark. Better to have it slightly retarded than over advance. That can burn holes in pistons.

I used xsJohn's pickup mod to retard my timing to the max, to use 87 gas easier. Some of the pickups are already slotted. My spare is. If you cut a screwdriver slot in the piece holding the pickup on, it will come out just like a screw. I'm getting 60 mpg or better.

Also, when you kick all the way down, it mechanically disengages so it can't kick back. I'm pretty sure of that. So kick all the way down.

^^ it does, when my bike finally fired i was so surprised i forgot to bring my leg back up, and she chugged along for a few turns with my leg in the full down position.

Yes,all the way down and it disengages. when you let it up do it in one full motion or slide your foot off and let the spring put it back up. If you hesitate on the return stroke and push it back down even a bit the gears can engage and that's not pretty.

Back