Kickstarter stop?

Uncle Frank

XS650 Member
Reaction score
We are putting an early TX650 back together - it appears that there should be some kind of stop for the kickstarter where the arrow is pointing in the photo. Can't find anything in the pile of parts that fits - should there be something there?
tx650kickstart.jpg

No, there's no stop there. The stop is a nub on the end of the kick shaft and it hits (stops) against that curved section of case under the middle of your red arrow.

ZKoFB9r.jpg

That nub rotates through this area of the case marked with the red arrow. It "stops" when it gets to the top .....

NhO7aFA.jpg

The footpeg bracket also acts as a stop on the outside of the case.

Kinda tricky to twist the shaft, rotate the gear and load the spring with only 2 hands. Took me a few times to get it right, but was rewarded with a cold Miller Lite afterwards.....psssst ahhhhh!!!!!!!
I found using a large zip tie around the spring tab to pull it past , then on the resting boss on the case makes it fairly easy to do....but it really is a 3 handed job

It's easy to install.
Put it in place so the springs hook where they should. The nub will hit the case somewhere in the area of the green line.
Slip the kicker on the shaft, just a bit so you can turn the shaft.
Using the kicker, turn the shaft counter-clock wise about 1/2 to 3/4 turn. As you do this push in on the shaft. When the nub clears the area of the green line and gets over the area of the red line it will slide right on into place. This preloads the return spring so the kicker returns to the up right position.
If the clutch pack is installed, you can test the kick start at this point. Once the shaft slides into place let it return to the upright position.
Now if you carefully move the kicker like you are trying to start the engine you will see the gears engage and then you will feel the resistance of the engine. Stop at this point and let the kicker return. You can try it a few times but don't try to hard or you might pull the shaft back out.
Once you confirm things are right, carefully slide the kicker off the shaft.
If your ready to install the cover you can, I like to put some grease on the shaft where the seal rides. This will help the cover slide on and not hurt the seal. It also helps when you remove that cover, the grease lets the cove slide off as you are holding the shaft in.
I see no need for a zip tie, that sounds like the hard way.
Leo

Oh, that place where the hole is, is a piece of steel cast into the case. When you release the kick pedal and it springs back upright That nub hit that piece of steel instead of the soft case. If it hit the case the aluminum would just batter away.
The steel prevents that.
Leo

Back