Knees in the breeze ...

I think this thread has moved sideways from @DaveO's intention to report his rides, LOL. Sometimes it seems to Europeans that people from other parts of the World tend confuse old and historic - they are not the same, just as expensive and good or big and important or price and value are not the same.

Trying to be tactful . . .

Dave you are correct when you say we have some amazing things to see here. The world as a whole is an amazing and beautiful place that we take for granted far too much.

And the other man's grass is always greener. And familiarity breeds contempt.

On my first trip to America which was the East Coast, I sat in the same church pew as George Washington. I had tingles running down my spine.
Everywhere I went in New York was a set of some film I have loved.
When I went to the West coast, I could walk from one time zone into another on the Hoover Dam. Took photos of the tribute to those who built it. "They died so the desert could bloom." (Those bloody tingles again)
I experienced baking hot dessert, pine trees and an impromptu stop for a snowball fight and then back down into dessert all in one day's driving.

Here, history is on every street corner and there are more castles than you can count. So, we get blasé about it. And There are still lots of places in the UK I haven't visited. Frustrating, isn't it, that we only get one go around.

Dave

... In which I get my knees in the breeze by riding out to see castles.

@Raymond and I went for a castle run to Warkworth Castle, Northumberland. Its North for me and South for Raymond.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warkworth_Castle

So, that's two so far. I posted photos of Tynemouth Castle and Priory previously.

I've discovered that this quest will not run out of material. I can think of six or so castles within 40 miles of me.

View attachment 220862

View attachment 220860

View attachment 220865

View attachment 220867

View attachment 220869

View attachment 220870

View attachment 220871
Superb photos!!
I'm so envious of you guys. What a place to live and ride.

Sorry Dave, couldn't resist.....lol
Stahlratte2-MotoPhil.jpg

Our ride to Warkworth Castle on a pair of XS650s, @Mailman's ride to the White Tank mountains on his Boulevard, all bikes are adventure bikes. Anybody here rides the shortest route to the supermarket and again on the way home? Thought not . . .

A break in posting has been caused by our trip away to the Worcester and Birmingham Canal on a narrow boat holiday with my brother and his wife.

I can't NOT post THE castle around here and that is the Castle Keep or Black Gate in Newcastle itself. Its only ten miles or so from me (I'm in North Shields on the mouth of the River Tyne) so I made it the end point of a longer run and then back home along the river via Wallsend (quite literally the end of Hadrian's Wall).

20220821_141611.jpg

There's not really much room here, so I had to stand with my back against the pub to get it all in. "Yes, officer. I'm parked in a disabled bay and if anyone wants me to move, I will."

20220821_141633.jpg

20220821_141650.jpg

The sunshine makes my bike look better than it really is. Still, nothing a few hours and a bit of effort won't fix.

20220821_141848.jpg

This is the Bridge Hotel public house opposite. It is the venue for a folk club, and I once passed a few words with Ewan McColl and Peggy Seeger here.

20220821_141921.jpg

.... and this is the High-Level Bridge, one of seven from Newcastle on one side of the Tyne to Gateshead on the other. (Think Budapest)

If you have seen the original Get Carter then it's the one in the scene where he is being chased by villains in a Jag with no doors.

The High-Level Bridge is a two-level bridge with cars (and once trams) below and trains above.

20220821_142039.jpg

This is the best shot I could get from there of the Tyne Bridge, framing it so that the building and lampposts on the left and the wheelie bins were not in the frame.

Dave

A break in posting has been caused by our trip away to the Worcester and Birmingham Canal on a narrow boat holiday with my brother and his wife.

I can't NOT post THE castle around here and that is the Castle Keep or Black Gate in Newcastle itself. Its only ten miles or so from me (I'm in North Shields on the mouth of the River Tyne) so I made it the end point of a longer run and then back home along the river via Wallsend (quite literally the end of Hadrian's Wall).

View attachment 222537

There's not really much room here, so I had to stand with my back against the pub to get it all in. "Yes, officer. I'm parked in a disabled bay and if anyone wants me to move, I will."

View attachment 222539

View attachment 222540

The sunshine makes my bike look better than it really is. Still, nothing a few hours and a bit of effort won't fix.

View attachment 222541

This is the Bridge Hotel public house opposite. It is the venue for a folk club, and I once passed a few words with Ewan McColl and Peggy Seeger here.

View attachment 222542

.... and this is the High-Level Bridge, one of seven from Newcastle on one side of the Tyne to Gateshead on the other. (Think Budapest)

If you have seen the original Get Carter then it's the one in the scene where he is being chased by villains in a Jag with no doors.

The High-Level Bridge is a two-level bridge with cars (and once trams) below and trains above.

View attachment 222543

This is the best shot I could get from there of the Tyne Bridge, framing it so that the building and lampposts on the left and the wheelie bins were not in the frame.

Dave

Brilliant post Dave! The history and old castles and bridges are just breathtaking! Thanks for posting! 😃

View attachment 222537

View attachment 222539

View attachment 222540

View attachment 222541

View attachment 222542

View attachment 222543

Dave
Great storyline. I know the area well, and lived ‘Op-North tha’ na’ for a few years. Still have relatives living in Corbridge. Fish the Tyne for game when I get the chance during visits. Great people, great city; and I’ve supported Newcastle United since I was 5 years old.

Brilliant post Dave! The history and old castles and bridges are just breathtaking! Thanks for posting! 😃

You see, @Mailman and @JesseeS. The other man's grass is always greener. I've just joked with my youngest son, "I can't say I've ever really noticed the Black Gate before because when I'm going to the pub its behind me and when I'm coming out, its dark."

I guess the lesson is, to appreciate our surroundings more.

@Adamc, "Howay the lads." (There's someone in a Newcastle top in the Bridge Hotel picture, coming from Gateshead through the bridge.)

@Jim, You're welcome.

Dave

You see, @Mailman and @JesseeS. The other man's grass is always greener. I've just joked with my youngest son, "I can't say I've ever really noticed the Black Gate before because when I'm going to the pub its behind me and when I'm coming out, its dark."

I guess the lesson is, to appreciate our surroundings more.

@Adamc, "Howay the lads." (There's someone in a Newcastle top in the Bridge Hotel picture, coming from Gateshead through the bridge.)

@Jim, You're welcome.

Dave
Why I man!

Today was one of those lovely days when its sunny and warm but cloudy. I took a trip out to the South side of the river Tyne, going West. This is Prudhoe Castle. There's scope for another visit as it is near Heddon on the Wall (the Wall being Hadrian's).

The castle stands on a ridge about 150 feet (46 m) on the south bank of the River Tyne. It is partly enclosed by a deep moat. The ground to the north falls away steeply to the river. The castle entrance is on the south side and is flanked by a mill pond on the left and a ruined water mill on the right. The castle is entered by a barbican dating from the first half of the 14th century. The gatehouse, dating from the early 12th century, leads into the outer ward; which contains the remains of several buildings.

Archaeological excavations have shown that the first castle on the site was a Norman motte and bailey, built sometime in the mid 11th century.

Wikipedia

"11th century Norman" makes the original site contemporary with 1066 (and all that)

Lots of nice country roads south of the Tyne followed by a quick blat back home along the A69 reaching speeds of "ooh, quite fast for me".

Note to self.

balance carbs
check out the side stand, The fit of it is badly worn.

305064651_606246504323647_7850061090252278364_n.jpg

305098237_2032921453575613_626918423888572755_n.jpg

305158855_1086669975299103_7970003818764889475_n.jpg

305299330_636232968153798_819474525880368705_n.jpg

305593431_415450800719772_568872404471533542_n.jpg

305181178_477362614247557_5380778380145417877_n.jpg

Wheeled the bike a little way up to the castle to be able to take the background shot.

Dave

Back