Knees in the breeze ...

DaveO

XS650 Addict
Top Contributor
Reaction score
... In which I get my knees in the breeze by riding out to see castles.

@Raymond and I went for a castle run to Warkworth Castle, Northumberland. Its North for me and South for Raymond.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warkworth_Castle

So, that's two so far. I posted photos of Tynemouth Castle and Priory previously.

I've discovered that this quest will not run out of material. I can think of six or so castles within 40 miles of me.

20220803_105233.jpg

20220803_105223.jpg

20220803_112642.jpg

20220803_112653.jpg

20220803_113035.jpg

20220803_113055.jpg

20220803_113116.jpg

@Raymond and I went for a castle run to Warkworth Castle, Northumberland. Its North for me and South for Raymond.

So, that's two so far. I posted photos of Tynemouth Castle and Priory previously.

I've discovered that this quest will not run out of material. I can think of six or so castles within 40 miles of me.

View attachment 220862

View attachment 220860

View attachment 220865

View attachment 220867

View attachment 220869

View attachment 220870

View attachment 220871
Wow, great ride guys! That Castle has some pretty strong ties to America. In the 18c it was owned by Hugh Percy (Hugh Smithson) 1st Duke of Northumberland who was the father of James Smithson. James was the founding donor of the Smithsonian Institute in the U.S. Our oldest and most prestigious historical institution and museum. And Home to our very own Smithsonian Castle.:geek:

View attachment 220862

View attachment 220860

View attachment 220865

View attachment 220867

View attachment 220869

View attachment 220870

View attachment 220871
Beautiful! I'm jealous.

Well how cool is this? Beautiful photos Dave! I hope you are enjoying getting back out there, love the theme you have going here, keep it up!
8DC6945B-CE26-4B02-9C23-DD258A482D04.jpeg

Suffering from bike envy. Raymond's bike snicked into neutral after a 60-mile ride.

Dave :)
Sounds like a good chance to learn the fine details of clutch adjusting from the master himself. :bow:
Never pass a chance to learn.
Great photos Dave. Keep 'em coming.

View attachment 220862

View attachment 220860

View attachment 220865

View attachment 220867

View attachment 220869

View attachment 220870

View attachment 220871
DaveO, lovely bike & lovely pics from a great part of this fair Isle.
It’s said however Wales has the highest density of castles per square mile.
I have visited many over the years. When my machine is back on the road I may add some castle pics here.

Absolutely amazing…. I know how I feel at a historical site here that is only a couple hundred years old I can’t imagine how it feels to be in a castle with that history.
My son is in Vancouver. A few years ago I visited him. Wandering about I came across a very nicely cut lawn in front of a house. On the lawn was a sign which said, "This house is over ONE HUNDRED years old."

I had to laugh. A house older that that is common in the UK and most of Europe.

But @46th Georgia and @Wingedwheel, I've been to Zion Park, Bryce Canyon, Monument Valley and the Grand Canyon. We have nothing as achingly beautiful. All formed by wind and sand over millions of years. I could spend ten lifetimes exploring America.

Dave

Wow, great ride guys! That Castle has some pretty strong ties to America. In the 18c it was owned by Hugh Percy (Hugh Smithson) 1st Duke of Northumberland who was the father of James Smithson. James' was the founding donor of the Smithsonian Institute in the U.S. Our oldest and most prestigious historical institution and museum.

My son is in Vancouver. A few years ago I visited him. Wandering about I came across a very nicely cut lawn in front of a house. On the lawn was a sign which said, "This house is over ONE HUNDRED years old."

I had to laugh. A house older that that is common in the UK and most of Europe.

But @46th Georgia and @Wingedwheel, I've been to Zion Park, Bryce Canyon, Monument Valley and the Grand Canyon. We have nothing as achingly beautiful. All formed by wind and sand over millions of years. I could spend ten lifetimes exploring America.

Dave
While we do have many amazing natural wonders here our (European) man made structures at the very earliest only date to the late 16th century and the number of those can be counted on one hand. There is a small concentration of 18th century structures in the North East, otherwise most of our oldest buildings are from the previous 2 centuries with even the 19th century structures being few and far between. Mexico does have a very high concentration of pre-historic monumental stone structures some as old as 750BCE, but sadly the US does not. There are a few pueblos in the Southwest that have been continuously inhabited by Native Americans for almost a millennia and some of them are quite substantial but few are welcoming of non-native outsiders. Truly the definition of "old" is quite different in Europe than it is in the US when it comes to buildings.

Back