Late model to early model front end swap???

SLOWandLOW

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so I'm trying to figure out the best/easiest way to run a later model front end using the stock head stock on a 1972 Xs. I was wondering if getting a spacer made would be best or swapping the stems? If you prefer spacers could I get some specs and pics?

Here is the thread I'm referring to...

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2067

Also my steering stop got beat up pretty bad so I need a way of replacing it... ideas for welding something up?

So you're going from 34 to 35mm. You'll have to swap the stem if the stem lengths are different or get a set of Standard xs750 36mm forks and triple or xs1100 forks and triple for a 37mm fork. I believe these two are a direct swap for the earlier, short necked 650's.

XSLeo has swapped out for the 1100's but I believe he swapped the stem for his '75.
I've swapped out for the 750 36mm but that also called for swapping the stem.
Ggggary has done some changing too and has different model years available for comparison.

Not sure who's done the spacer or how well it worked out for them.

Awesome thanks nj1639! Some good info. I was originally just going to swap the stems but stumbled across that thread I posted earlier and was kind of curious.

On the stem swapping there are a some things to consider. Best to get both triple lowers down to the basics with the lower races or bearings removed.

Check and note the length of the entire 34mm stem from where it exits the lower triple to the top.
Where the stem goes into the lower triple there may be a raised section that the lower bearing race rides on. Make a note of the height of that raised section....might be 3mm, might be 2mm.
Check the raised section of the new lower triple to be used. If it's the same height as the one that you're pulling the stem from then you have one less thing to do. If not then you'll have to either make a spacer the same diameter and thickness to get back to the stock height OR you'll have to subtract it from the overall length of the stem being installed.

Hope this will make sense to you in your adventure.

Once those issues have been addressed and resolved it's best to assemble the forks, tree, headlight ears, rubbers spacers for the headlight ears, bearings top and bottom and then weld. This will give you the proper spacing and will center the stem. Assembly can be on the frame if you have a welder handy OR off the frame for ease of travel to be welded.

Last edited:
You only need to get the bearing face lowered down the stem on a lathe and get a spacer for the top, I had it done on one of mine,

Great point nj1639! I will take that into consideration.

jay760 do you remember how much was removed? Also... the specs for the spacer?

Back