Looking for some insight

You could run a single carb with equal length intakes and be done with syncing.
The down tube on these xs frames makes running a single carb......ugly? Without a down tube - which runs between the two carbs - one and done could be an option.
Early xs650 carbs came separated and had dual throttle cables, one for each carb. Newer carbs came mounted on a length of angle iron, were then linked carb to carb and had a single throttle cable. Syncing is getting both carbs throttle plates opening the same amount at the same time.
Where would I get something to make it run off of one carb. I’m looking for the most cost effective options here

Maybe sompin' like this? ;)

1703600702896.png

In the application I'd use a single 'tooter off a 1600 cc vw....heat up the forge, break out the greensand and styrofoam...and cast a 2:1. There was a feller wot did some castings...but I fergit. I have see one-offs in stainless thinwall tube...which in your case could be mild steel, tig time. hacksaw. files, diegrinder... but only if you're serious, dude.

seriously; we're thinking about what carbs to recommend, hard to do if we don't know the use case. Dirt drags would be different than oval track racing................
I agree...not sure what you're thinking, gggGary, but I'm thinking BS carbs for a low-budget approach and more steady-state throttle applications, Mikuni VM's for improved throttle response in a variable-throttle application (ie, road-race) and pumper FCR's for the ultimate in throttle response.

In the application I'd use a single 'tooter off a 1600 cc vw....heat up the forge, break out the greensand and styrofoam...and cast a 2:1. There was a feller wot did some castings...but I fergit. I have see one-offs in stainless thinwall tube...which in your case could be mild steel, tig time. hacksaw. files, diegrinder... but only if you're serious, dude.
My thoughts exactly! Buying, tuning a pair of carbs much more simpler than making a 1 into 2 manifold. Any of those 1 into 2s already made are a severe compromise to fit the space in the stock frame.

seriously; we're thinking about what carbs to recommend, hard to do if we don't know the use case. Dirt drags would be different than oval track racing................
Street racing. Well more specifically pavement tracks. It’ll almost never touch dirt. No need to worry about space I got plenty of that.

My thoughts exactly! Buying, tuning a pair of carbs much more simpler than making a 1 into 2 manifold. Any of those 1 into 2s already made are a severe compromise to fit the space in the stock frame.
Longing for the old ticker tooters from 1965 in a TRs... yes, XS frame tube makie trouble... cut, hack... only for zealots.

Back