Looking for some insight

Kruger24v

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi all, new here. I’m buying an 81 (I think) xs650 engine for use in a racing tractor. It needs carburetors but seems otherwise intact. Is there anything I need to know with wiring harness if it has one that I’ll need and any issues to look for beforehand? Any information would be greatly appreciated

That's a can of worms to open for a newb on these engines.
Carbs, ignition, wiring.....it'd be grand to have a running bike to transfer what you would need or to have known one to know.
Tech section of this forum has some minimal wiring schematics, look under the heading "electrical" and "some wiring diagrams".
'81 should have the TCI ignition system. The brain is located under the battery box on the bike. I'd be trying to get that too.
A pic of the engine for us - and keeping the sellers contact info for you might be a good thing.

If it is really an 81, then it came with a TCI (electronic) ignition. You will need a working TCI box (similar to an ECU), or you will have to buy an aftermarket ignition system.
I was told it’s an 81 but I think it’s not. It has a kick starter

Carbs, ignition, wiring.....it'd be grand to have a running bike to transfer what you would need or to have known one to know.
Tech section of this forum has some minimal wiring schematics, look under the heading "electrical" and "some wiring diagrams".
'81 should have the TCI ignition system. The brain is located under the battery box on the bike. I'd be trying to get that too.
A pic of the engine for us - and keeping the sellers contact info for you might be a good thing.
I’m not getting a bike. Just the engine itself for 150 dollars

If it was Mine I would find some parts to convert it over to points, it would greatly simplify the wiring. If you charge the battery between races you could run a total loss type ignition, no alternator, with literally one wire in the harness from the battery to the coils.

If it was Mine I would find some parts to convert it over to points, it would greatly simplify the wiring. If you charge the battery between races you could run a total loss type ignition, no alternator, with literally one wire in the harness from the battery to the coils.
If I can keep the alternator that would be preferred because then I can hook up headlights and the fuel pump for it since I need a pump for what I’m doing

You need this.
Ignition Unit.jpg

Getting the carbs for $150? Does it kick with compression?

IMG_2201.png

Found a guy with a 79 motor that has the starter and electrical stuff and has compression. Going with that one instead. Will need to buy carbs for it. How do they have them synced on the bikes?

Found a guy with a 79 motor that has the starter and electrical stuff and has compression. Going with that one instead. Will need to buy carbs for it. How do they have them synced on the bikes?
You could run a single carb with equal length intakes and be done with syncing.
The down tube on these xs frames makes running a single carb......ugly? Without a down tube - which runs between the two carbs - one and done could be an option.
Early xs650 carbs came separated and had dual throttle cables, one for each carb. Newer carbs came mounted on a length of angle iron, were then linked carb to carb and had a single throttle cable. Syncing is getting both carbs throttle plates opening the same amount at the same time.

Will depend on the carbs you buy. Late BS38s 1978 1979 are a good choice. Depending on how you plan to run the motor. Usually syncing visually before install will get you at least 95% there.

Back