Low/no budget pipe mod question

jbbishop2

XS650 Enthusiast
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I have a low-budget 81 street tracker with stock head pipes cut off just before the stock mufflers with a set of stock Sportster mufflers clamped on, and stock carbs. Too late I realized I should have used a reducer slid into the space between the inner and outer header pipes, and with only being supported at the head end the vibration eventually cracked the inner pipe a couple inches from the inlet. This makes for a fairly embarrassing exhaust note dry-farting out the vent holes in the outer pipe.

I know I should buy a set of headers (and when I do they'll probably be some from TC Bros) but for now and for no cost I'm going to try cutting the outer pipe in a few places and removing the inner pipe, then reweld the outer pipe back together. I've seen the inserts meant for use with larger diameter headers to reduce the I.D. for a short way into the header and my thought is to preserve the first couple of inches of inner header to approximate that effect.

Anybody done this, or have any suggestions or comments? Recommendations about carb changing as a result? I really don't need to be told what a cheapskate I am but you're welcome to do that if you bring a constructive comment, too...

Thanks,
John

All I can say is try it. At this point you don't have much to lose.
If you can weld, then just by 1.5 in pipe bends and build a set of headers your self.
I have the bends, just been to busy to get them built.
Leo

Back