Lubricant to use on Speedo and tach cables

I use gear oil. I make a funnel from a plastic bag and tape it to the end of the cable. Then I hang the cable and funnel from whatever, fill the funnel with some gear oil and wait until the gear oil seeps out of the bottom of the cable. I do my other cables like this too.

what is viscosity of gear oil compared to motor oil.
On my XJ650 I had a "scream of death" that ended up being in the speedo which I opened up, cleaned and oiled (with 3in1).
The "experts" told me to pull the speedo cable. remove the inner cable (comes out from one side) then clean the inside w/ carb/break free.
then coil and soak the inner cable in motor oil, then put back into the outer shell.

I've yet to do something like this on the XS650 so open to other methods. Where do I get gear oil? is this like the 80w90 I put into the shaft drive of my XJ650? or is Is this like primary oil for a bike that has a seperate primary oil area (harley sportster)

I use gear oil. I make a funnel from a plastic bag and tape it to the end of the cable. Then I hang the cable and funnel from whatever, fill the funnel with some gear oil and wait until the gear oil seeps out of the bottom of the cable. I do my other cables like this too.
He asked about the speedo and tach cable, not the clutch cable. The cable comes out of the sheath. Then you apply white lithium grease to it. At least, that's what I always though the Forum consensus was.

I always thought oil in speedo/ tacho cables could work its way up into the clocks, and gum them up over time. Have I been wrong all these years?
Also, lubricating the clocks themselves is a different issue.
Someone, maybe even on this forum advised to be very careful with that, and suggested just pulling one or more bulbs out of the clock, then inserting cotton or similar soaked in white spirit in the bulb holder, keeping the clocks face up. Then leave them in the sun for a day or more. The idea is that white spirit evaporates into the clock housing, and later condenses as a light lubricating film on all surfaces and parts.

Thank you all for the replies.

I was thinking white litium, didn’t think of gear oil 🤔

Was even thinking a light few drops of machine oil, but I’ll try the litium.

What is “white spirit” for the gauges themselves? Is that a type of turpentine?

Back