Electrical Issue

BNL

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I will do my best to explain my issue with my 1972 XS and hopefully someone is able to provide some guidance. OK … Key is in the ignition, I turn it one position to the right and tach, Speedo and taillight come on. Bike starts when kicked over with no headlight. Turn the key one more click to the right and lights can be operated both lo and hi beam, not able to start the bike. Now I can turn the key to the middle position, start bike and all is good. With the bike running I turn the key to the last position to turn my lights on and the bike stalls, as if I hit the kill switch.

Wiring has been carefully checked in the headlamp bucket and all seems good. Any suggestions, thank you in advance for and help you can provide.

Attachments

• IMG_2241.jpeg
    IMG_2241.jpeg
    545.2 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
We'll need some info on your bike to go into details... the year would be helpful for starters. It's wearing '72 XS2 colors, but it's got the drum front from a '70 or '71 XS1.... so kinda hard to tell.

But for starters, the key has 3 positions: Off, On and park. So when you say the engine dies when you go to position 3... that's normal. It's supposed to do that.
Can you read a wiring diagram?
Have you looked at the diagrams in Tech?

Now I can turn the key to the middle position, start bike and all is good. With the bike running I turn the key to the last position to turn my lights on and the bike stalls, as if I hit the kill switch.
That's pretty much the design: position I (middle) is normal on, Position II is a "Park" mode that just powers lights, but not ignition. To power lights in Position I, you should be able to turn the light switch on left handlebar on and get lights.

1697739077780.png

Sounds like your ignition switch has gone wonky. All that should be powered in the 2nd key position is the tail light. The headlight shouldn't be able to be operated. I think you need to pull the switch apart and investigate.

Sounds like your ignition switch has gone wonky. All that should be powered in the 2nd key position is the tail light. The headlight shouldn't be able to be operated. I think you need to pull the switch apart and investigate.
Or maybe before that; check that wires are all connected correctly in the headlight bucket.

We'll need some info on your bike to go into details... the year would be helpful for starters. It's wearing '72 XS2 colors, but it's got the drum front from a '70 or '71 XS1.... so kinda hard to tell.

But for starters, the key has 3 positions: Off, On and park. So when you say the engine dies when you go to position 3... that's normal. It's supposed to do that.
Thanks for your reply and yes it is a 72 with a front drum brake. So if the bike is suppose to shut down in Park position then there’s no issue however my lights do not come on in the On position so I guess that is now my issue.

. So if the bike is suppose to shut down in Park position then there’s no issue however my lights do not come on in the On position so I guess that is now my issue.

Thanks for your reply and yes it is a 72 with a front drum brake. So if the bike is suppose to shut down in Park position then there’s no issue however my lights do not come on in the On position so I guess that is now my issue.
Well, yes, that and they're not supposed to come on in Park. So power to the headlight On/Off is coming from the wrong wire at the ignition switch.
Power should come from the On contacts... and it seems it's coming from the Park contacts.
Like @gggGary said.... all that happens in the headlight bucket.

1697745771883.png

The headlight/taillight circuit is a little confusing.
Below is what you should get out from the ignition switch with the headlight switch on the left in the off position.
1697749026662.png

It is possible to have the headlight on when key is in the park position, that is the way it should be.
If you do not have a headlight in the middle position check for 12 volts on the red/yellow wire. If no voltage it's a ignition switch problem. If you have 12 volts it's a wiring or left handlebar control switch problem.
Question: Have you had your left handlebar control switch apart?

The headlight/taillight circuit is a little confusing.
Below is what you should get out from the ignition switch with the headlight switch on the left in the off position.
View attachment 253599

It is possible to have the headlight on when key is in the park position, that is the way it should be.
If you do not have a headlight in the middle position check for 12 volts on the red/yellow wire. If no voltage it's a ignition switch problem. If you have 12 volts it's a wiring or left handlebar control switch problem.
Question: Have you had your left handlebar control switch apart?
I recently replaced both switches and covers Which was pretty much plug and play. Will check that out though, thank you.

I recently replaced both switches and covers Which was pretty much plug and play. Will check that out though, thank you.
Replaced with oem 72 switches or aftermarket?

That switch will not work like it should on a XS2. You may be able to make it work with some modifications.
Below is the only bikes that Yamaha used it on.
1697750443603.png

Ok I think the aftermarket controls are the problem because I don’t believe there is an on/off switch on those. They have the euro “pass” button IIRC.

Jim, this issue was happening before I replaced them so didn’t feel the need to indicate that.

...and yet another nice to know clue.
If you can think back to a time when everything worked OK... and tell us what's been done since... might give us some more ideas.

... or if they've never worked OK, what else has been swapped/tried?

Got a link to that switch? I bought one from XS650direct but I don’t see the one from Mikes?

NOTE: This switch has wires corresponding to the loom..............no guarantee they operate as per the loom diagram or the old switch. May need to dismantle and check or plug in and find out

If you bought this from MikesXS states it is for 72-73 with a Pass switch

https://www.mikesxs.net/switch-combo-lh-7-8-inch-black-xs2-tx650-1972-1973-euro.html

Here is a break-down of the wires..............Seems good.

Need to find out what the Black, (or Grey) and white wire goes to and does. It is not on the loom,

Later pass switch on my 80SG uses a jump wire from Yellow, for the high beam flash and has its own power, (Y/R), into the pass button...............Need to take the switch apart to see/confirm if this Back, (grey), white wire is power to the pass button

MikesXS 24-7258-05 text copy.jpg

My 80SG the button was changed to a press/release, (different shape), type switch/button. Here is how it is set up.
P1000931 text copyright.jpg

Last edited:
Back