Press Start Button, then Nothing

ANXS650

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So this is stumping me. Yesterday, I put the key in and turn it. Put the bike in neutral (green neutral light was on), press the start button, and everything goes blank. No neutral light, no horn, no nothing. Turned the key off and checked the fuses, nothing blown. Turned the key back on and still nothing. Came back 30 minutes later to work on it and turned the key and everything came on. Then I pressed the start button and again everything goes blank. I noticed this time that the solenoid made a click just before everything went blank.

I tried jumping the solenoid with a screw driver and nothing happened.

I'm thinking it's the starter, but I've never had a starter fail like that before. I am able to kick start the bike and it seem to run fine when I kick it.

Any thoughts? The part that is driving me nuts the that everything goes blank for a while. What's causing it and what resetting it after a little break?

Thanks

Ground strap from battery to frame Remove clean wiggle around to be sure it's not rotted away. Common issue with symptoms you describe.
After that fuse box connections switch internals etc. it's a corrosion, poor connection "somewhere" issue.

Last edited:
I'd also take the battery and have it load tested. Most auto parts store will do it free.

Back