Machi & Pablo's XS-B Bobber Project

And here's a close up of the coils with unconnected wires from the condenser and points:

full

Still scratching the bald spot . . .

Here's a wiring diagram I am using. I am connecting the points-coils-condenser circuit (the part inside the circle).

full

I have EMGO coils from Mike's, with yellow and black wires (not orange and brown like the originals - https://www.mikesxs.net/product/17-6805.html ).

>>> Does it matter which coil wire goes to the main power and which to the condensers/points? If so, how do the yellow and black correspond to the orange and brown? (Mike's product page states: "**** Polarity does not matter, and can be connected to either side")

It does not matter.
That drawing is for a 1979 and earlier (non-TCI) stock charging system (not a PMA) with a combined reg/rec (not separate reg and separate rec).

Thanks, DB. That's your drawing!
Right - I'm only interested in the circled section. In fact I think you told me this - about coil polarity - before.
I've been making s l o w progress on this project, but I hope to call you soon.

Post some videos, Ippy and Wolfie - let's hear em roar.
I still have a bit of dialing in to do, need to read up on the threads. Hope to ride it this weekend. Your recommendations appreciated.
And, I am worried about a bit of persistent smoke coming out of the right side . . . (we did the rebuild ourselves).
Thanks to Pablo, Josef, Hugh, MMM, TCBros, Pandemonium, DCC, LowBrow, and even Mikes, we've made it this far. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks Machi! No battery or starter.

I MAY install a battery for the lights, but I'll see if it works without first.

Boyer Bransden ignition and power box is what powers her, oh and lots of kick overs! HA!

No battery or starter here either. Got a HHB PMA and a capacitor running only the coils and plugs. I plan to mount a simple headlight w H/L beams (Pandemonium), and an LED taillight with brake light (TCBros).
First start was with a battery hook in, but since then without the battery, 2 or 3 kicks. Yet to see how long that coil holds a charge when I'm not riding.
Hope to actually try it on the street this weekend.

The capacitor will dishcarge pretty quickly if the motor isn't running. I had a cap on mine but have since went to a Ballistic Evo2 4 cell lithium battery in a gutted starter. It has the benefit of a battery and is inconspicuous. As soon as I get mine back together I will try and get a video of it. Took it apart for a few little tweaks: elephant foot adjusters, paint and am going to be drilling my rotors this week.

Is started yesterday on just the capacitor - first kick, after sitting for 4 days. I'll check out that Evo thingy - I like the idea of hiding it in a gutted starter.

Baffles in, carbs balanced, fuel mix adjusted, rear brake stiffend, clutch set up too tight, , , let's roll down the road -
photo.php

Now I'm gonna need some help with this front brake. I've got the stock 40 yr old master cylinder which seems quite clean and will suck my finger when I plug the exit. Had a custom line made, connected to a new caliper (Mike').
I've filled the MC and can't get any fluid to flow down. I was thinking of borrowing one of those brake line sucking mechanisms (that you connect to the bleeder valve and pump to draw the fluid thru). Or maybe I should rebuild the MC? I have a kit . . .
http://www.xs650.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=1429&pictureid=18543

Back