Mikes 750 top end noise

scabber

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
I've have the 750 and shell #1 On another forum someone inquired about excess valve noise 750 kit megacycle cam. Mines noisy anyone else. When I put the motor together I noticed the cam chain tunnel on the 750 has limited space for rear guide adjustment Has this been a problem. I was giong check this when I do the rephase. What it might be the rear guide hitting between the cylinders mistaken for valve noise'

Last edited:
A cheap mechanic's stethoscope or a screwdriver against a valve cover with the handle to your ear should tell you if it's tappet noise or not. Recommended valve lash on the Shell #1 is I=.006" and E=.012", so yeah, valves are a little loud, particularly on the exhaust side. If there's any cupping in the valve stem a feeler gauge will read the edge, not the actual lash at contact, and you'll wind up with an even wider setting. You can correct for that by setting up a dial indicator on top of the valve adjuster.

I have tried the screw driver and couldn't pin point it to valves at 65 and hearing isn't that good. I have the porsche adjusters. I put a new front guide on it old one was shot. Noticed some plastic when I changed oil. the chain not new. These 750 kits have been around for a couple of years. I bought mine when they first came out. I was going to do a re phase this winter I will check the rear guide area then. Just asking, xsleo put the rear guide idea in my head this summer when we did the cranks. I would recommend a new cam chain when you do the kit. Thanks griz

I used the chain I put in new about 2 or 3 thousand ago. Not very worn. If you have an engine with much over a few thousand miles and you do a rebuild, stock or otherwise a new chain is a good idea.
Not much since in putting a $1000 dollars in an engine and use an old chain.
Scabber, those bits of plastic in the oil after the kit maybe just pieces that didn't get flushed out before you got the kit put on. I wouldn't worry to much till after a few oil changes.

The reason I didn't put the new chain in was I just wanted to ride this summer.Planed to put new chain and 750 kit on the rephased motor on the 78 bike. The 750 kit is a performace part the cam chain tunnel necks down between the cylinders. The rear tension guide will not pass through like the stock cylinders. A lot of us found this out at assembly. I checked this area for a possible clearance issue not mutch room, since I used the old chain I dont know how mutch it streched since new. It would be nice to know how much adjustmemt before that rear guide starts hiting in between. I don't know if this is an issue or not. Mikes has sold a lot of these kits he might be selling a bunch of cam chains soon.Hope I'm wrong. I will know when I tear it down. Feedback If you remember looking.new kit buyers look and tell us what you think.

I just put the 750 kit on my engine tonight, and like you said, that rear adjuster doesn't pass between the cam chain tunnel like it did with the stock cylinders. I have to put the head, and cam back on and then I can see if the rear adjuster has enough clearance when the chain is tensioned down. I agree with you xsleo, two of the cam bearing's were bad on my bike, so i replaced all four of them lol! Looks like it might also be needing a new cam chain too....

Thanks for the reply platty. Let us know the distance the rear guide can travel with the new chain before it hits the cylinders. A lot more of these kits on the road leave feedback how many miles you got on yours. Any body know the normal life of a cam chain ? Seems like they could have dezigned that tunnel area with more clearance. Thats what they make grinders for.:wtf:

It would be cheaper to put in the new parts now than have to pull the engine and do it later.
I think the clearance won't be much of a problem. I think other things will show up before the chain gets that worn.

platty It is kind of funny :laugh::laugh: Sort of like Mikes mirrors:laugh::laugh:Let me know how mutch adjustment you have with the new chain. Inquiring minds would like to know. Looks like the snow will be melting this weekend. I will be riding. HAPPY NEW YEAR :D

Scabber, how was your New Year's? Did you get to ride at all? lol! The new chain is coming in on thursday....I'll keep y'all posted.

platty New yrars was great. the ride was even better. It made it to 50 degres sunny a little cold but fun. Got rid of my cabin fever The bike ran great. The valve noise minimal till it warmed up then some noise. Keep us informed when the new chain installed and clearance. I would recommend a brake upgrade with the 750 kit Top speed does not increase you just get there quick.

Finally got around to putting the motor together and took some pictures too!

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k485/plattey/DSC01547.jpg
This picture is with the old cam chain with 17XXX miles on it. I stuck the depth gauge end of the caliper until it struck the back of the tensioner with the cam and its bearings in place on top of the head. I wasn't able to torque the head down because I only had one set of big bore head and base gaskets.

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k485/plattey/DSC01549.jpg
This picture is of the tensioner with the depth gauge at the recorded depth.

I still have to record the depth of the adjuster with the new chain, but I still have to install the motor and break it in. I would like to record the depth after the motor is broken in and has had some run time. Hope this helps:)

platty the pictures show the tunnel and guide very well. when you put it together and we get the the numbers we will know for sure. see if you can get a picture of the tunnel with the head and cam and new chain installed before you put on the rocker box. thanks !

uh oh, the motor's already in the bike and just took it out for a quick spin around town. In the middle of a warm spell and was itching to take it out:) Still in the process of breaking in the motor, but it will be soon time for valve and cam chain adjustments since putting bike back together. Once i get around to that i'll take some pics of the depth gauge then.

Good to hear your out riding.how do you like it ? I would have been out on mine But agm battery troubles prevented. Keep us informed when you do the valve adjust. A little more good weather please !

Alright, got 50 miles on the motor and I checked the camchain. I took out the adjuster and then realized that my depth gauge wasn't going to fit in between the center down tube and the engine. So I stuck a screwdriver in until it struck the back of the tensioner. I marked the distance with my thumb and took a measurement there. I think I'll have to take another measurement because I measured 66.7mm. But I think the motor's going to have to come out again. I changed the oil today and stuck to the drain plug was a 5th gear dog.....

Back