Mikes Rear Master Cylinder....Wha???

davem222

davem222
Reaction score
Hey all,
I bought a custom rear master cylinder from Mikes about 6 months ago, figuring I'd need it. It's sat in a box til I could fix up all of the rest of things on my bike. I hooked it up today and at first, when I put pressure on the brake pedal, the metal stick attached to the pivot would not move inwards at all. Then I put some pressure, maybe 1/3 of what you might while braking, I heard a sort of small snap, and the thing now moves completely freely about a quarter inch (I'm guessing). I thought that it maybe was stuck on something but now is all good. I tried putting it all together and bleeding the brakes, putting in fluid, etc, nothing. I could simply not get fluid to move to the caliper. I thought maybe it was the old brake line I was using, so I removed it and looked in the hole on the master cylinder where the banjo bolt goes, thinking at least as I pumped the brake lever it would have some brake fluid come up. Nothing. Anyone have a similar experience or know what's going on? Am I boned because it's garbage and busted and I bought this thing months ago?

Alright, update: I've pulled the retaining clip and removed the plunger and it seems it hits this: a concave metal piece which I'm assuming is the piston itself, but that thing doesn't move at all. Is there a spring inside that perhaps is faulty?

On a related note: Mikes hasn't yet returned my emails (It's only been a day and a half, but still, it's a full day and a half). My fear is that they sold me a piece of crap and that because I bought it months ago this will not get resolved. I know "technically" they have no phone number (sigh, caveat emptor) but does anyone have a line on a phone number for them anyway?

Thanks.

Dave

Attachments

• photo (13).JPG
    photo (13).JPG
    58 KB · Views: 168
Been there with a stock master . If you have air pressure or better yet another working master cylinder , apply reverse pressure to the cylinder . The problem is the piston isn't retreating enough to uncover the fluid supply port .

~kop

Are you sure the piston isn't retreating enough? Part of me thinks it's stuck "in" if you know what I mean. How do you tell?

Back