mikes xs 750 kit del orto carbs

lsc8

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey just picked up an 8282 xs650. Has the mikes xs 750 big fin kit anx a pair if del orto carbs. It ran ok when i test rode it. After sitting in the garage a few days i went go go for a spin and it is hard starting wont idle/missing. I have read that the del orto carbs require specific tuning. I emailed mikesxs for instructions and they wouldnt help. Does anyone have a copy or advise? Also the bike has ngk b9es plugs. Is this normal for a 750spin kit? My manual calls for a bp7es as well as any other info ive found.

How old is the fuel in it? If it has Ethanol in it and no additives such as Star-Tron, then that may be your problem.It doesn't take long for crap gas to corrode jets and carb passages.Might want to check the plugs also.

This is what are in mine

Main jet 168

Pilot jet 55

slide 70/2 can't read the number on the needle it's too small

if they aren't solidly mounted and on Mikes manifolds would take a good look at the manifolds as these melt and crack with the ethenol in the fuel, would stick to standard plugs BP7ES tried B8ES once but it didn't like starting much.

Checked plugs they were flooded. Had just filled up with gas. I always add a cap full of seafoam after i fill the tank

Is there a way to tell if my bike takes the newer "p" style plugs? The ones i pulled out were the older style non p. I was told its an 82 and the frame vin does also. However it is a bobber so who really knows. I really not like to bash a piston.

Back