Mikes XS fuse box warning!

ann0yed

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I was riding along happily, well not so happily - I'd just gotten a $115 ticket for parking too close to a hydrant - and my bike started lurching and sputtering and then quit. I managed to start it and took off again and the same thing happened. Then it wouldn't start. I pushed it a mile home (thank god I was on the right side of the Manhattan bridge) and as I was pushing the bike, I noticed a strange thing - though the key was off, my speedo was still illuminated... Hmmm... Last night I began to check things over, and this is what happened:

In the new fuse box, and maybe in all fuse boxes, there are a couple spare fuses clipped underneath the lid, well these two spare fuses dropped out of the lid and were rattling around on top of the live fuses jumping this to that and etc. I'm so lucky nothing got shorted out! So take note, the spare fuses in MikesXS replacement fuse box aren't retained by clips, they are merely tucked between the side of the lid and a few vertical tabs. A couple dots of hot glue will make sure this won't happen to you!

-j

The stock ones are the same, but have a slight curve at the end. Don't know about mike's.

The up side is there is nothing in there to short out on, and even if there was the fuse would blow. The only thing it could do is energize a normally keyed circuit with the key off. Which is what it did on yours.

Well, shit. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I'm running the coil off the battery? Ok, I don't know why that would be. I'm convinced that what happened made my bike stall. The odds of two unrelated events occurring at the same time are very slim. When I tried to kick start it, I swear it sparked really early before I'd got the kick starter 1/3 of the way down and it rebounded pretty strongly. Is it possible one of these possible bridges caused by the loose fuses could somehow do this? I have a pamco and checked that and the advance mechanism, both look to be operating fine.

-j

Don't carry spare fuses in the fuse box. I carry spares in the box they come in, in my pocket.

It can happen, the replacement one appears to follow the original that I had in my other bike. Watch out when you clip it back on, thats typically when they are coming loose.... I dont like how the top holds to the base, but its a step up from the part of a bus fuse box I had modded for a year on my daily rider xs...

Back