Mikes XS petcock rebuild kit

dmgmn

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just want some input on Mikes XS for petcock rebuild kits. I recently bought the carb rebuild kits and later found out that I needed to buy more parts to complete the rebuild process.

Should I buy from Mikes or is there a better place to get the parts?

Thanks,

Dennis

Hi Dennis,
I've done OK buying from MikesXS but I've only bought metallic parts.
Concensus on this list is that it's best to only buy MikesXS rubber parts if you can't find them anywhere else.

Found them much, much cheaper on eBay. No problems so far... And yes, I avoid any rubber products from Mike's.

Yamaha still sells the 4 hole rubber seal. See my thread on petcock overhaul. If you work methodically that seal and the vacuum port o-ring is all that's usually needed.
Without knowing your year that's about all I can suggest.

Hey gggGary, I tried to find your thread on petcock overhaul, but couldn't locate it with the search feature. Can you point me in the right direction? My left petcock leaks like a sieve. (That sounds dirty somehow, doesn't it?)

I've had mixed luck with petcock rebuild kits. Both from Mikes and elsewhere. The seal on the O-ring/Diaphram rod in the port needs to be a perfect fit. Sanding/polishing till it is a mirror shine is key...but a quality but not overly tight seal from that o-ring is critical too. I've found that the O-ring itself hasn't always been the issue. In my last bout, I found the length of the rod it sits on...just a hair short, and it wouldn't close the port.

My recommendation is don't throw anything away. I ended up using the OE diaphram with the other new rubber parts and that worked on one petcock well over a year...actually that one still works great. The other, petcock however lasted 2-3 months...before I had to rebuild it again.

yup That old short rod problem is a bitch :wink2:

I have run into kits with a short diaphragm rod also, nearly drove me around the bend figuring out where the problem was. Funny thing is, the wife had been saying.......... LOL

yup That old short rod problem is a bitch :wink2:

I have run into kits with a short diaphragm rod also, nearly drove me around the bend figuring out where the problem was. Funny thing is, the wife had been saying.......... LOL

OMG, Ha ha ha!!! Busted out laughing on that... nice work!

Back