Mix screw O rings.. Guess they matter

RPC3

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Well I've spent the better part of the last month focusing on the fuel system in my 78 standard, bike ran hot on the right side, okay under throttle but idle would hang and be very sporadic once warm.

After cam chain/valves /points/timing I finally got into my carbs. Took them apart and cleaned them, new pilot jet and compressed air/carb cleaner though all the ports.

It helped, but not as much as I was expecting. Better under throttle, still idled like junk. Took the carbs apart again and put oem throttle shaft seals in, helped again, but still had real bad backfiring and a weak right cylinder, idle was still climbing once hot.

(for the record, I did sync the carbs in between each change).

For some reason (apparently because I'm dense) I didn't replace my mixture screws, so I went to do that today and found one was 5.5 turns out, the other 2. (should be 2.25-2.5,from what I read) . Put new screws in (luckily my the carb kit matched what came out of my bike), got them mostly dialed in and...

I can actually idle well at 1200 rpm . I can ride and warm the bike up and... Still come back to 1200 rpm. Feels like a long time coming, amazing how this last change finally smoothed everything else out (also no popping under devcel, even pull all the way through the throttle).

Until the next issue comes up I feel like I might actually be able to take some time and just enjoy the bike I stead of constantly fiddling with it, thanks for the help everyone.

Attachments

• 20140917_203501.jpg
    20140917_203501.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 147
Well I've spent the better part of the last month focusing on the fuel system in my 78 standard, bike ran hot on the right side, okay under throttle but idle would hang and be very sporadic once warm.

After cam chain/valves /points/timing I finally got into my carbs. Took them apart and cleaned them, new pilot jet and compressed air/carb cleaner though all the ports.

It helped, but not as much as I was expecting. Better under throttle, still idled like junk. Took the carbs apart again and put oem throttle shaft seals in, helped again, but still had real bad backfiring and a weak right cylinder, idle was still climbing once hot.

(for the record, I did sync the carbs in between each change).

For some reason (apparently because I'm dense) I didn't replace my mixture screws, so I went to do that today and found one was 5.5 turns out, the other 2. (should be 2.25-2.5,from what I read) . Put new screws in (luckily my the carb kit matched what came out of my bike), got them mostly dialed in and...

I can actually idle well at 1200 rpm . I can ride and warm the bike up and... Still come back to 1200 rpm. Feels like a long time coming, amazing how this last change finally smoothed everything else out (also no popping under devcel, even pull all the way through the throttle).

Until the next issue comes up I feel like I might actually be able to take some time and just enjoy the bike I stead of constantly fiddling with it, thanks for the help everyone.

Now synch the carbs.

Yeah, the O-rings on the mix screws and the seals for the needle valves are two "must do" items when re-habbing these old carbs. Without having dead-on control of fuel level in the float bowls and dead-on synch between the two carbs, you're never going to get the bike running the best it can.

RPC3 good write up and picture. If those are what you took out a classic example of "we do not know what the PO did".
Enjoy whats left of the riding season!

Back