My '79 basket case build

Teebs

King of the Ass-Hats
Reaction score
I'm finally getting back to work on my bike after a long hiatus, so I figured I would throw up the picturess from my build thread on 650rider as well as a few updated ones.

This is the bike as it sat when I picked it up. It also came with a front wheel and a box of dismantled carbs with both diaphragms torn:

Just_Like_new_001.jpg

I did a little testing with some scrap pipe I had kicking around, to get a sense of how it was going to look with the seat set up the way I wanted it:

Just_Like_new_002.jpg

Frame stripped down and ready to go:

Just_Like_new_003.jpg

Just_Like_new_004.jpg

New seat loop:

Just_Like_new_005.jpg

With the new seat loop welded on:

Just_Like_new_006.jpg

I just realized I never took any pictures as I welded the seat rails on, but here are the ones with it all welded together:

Just_Like_new_009.jpg

Just_Like_new_010.jpg

Just_Like_new_007.jpg

Just_Like_new_008.jpg

I got my seat pan cut yesterday. I plan on forming the pad tomorrow:

Just_Like_new_019.jpg

Just_Like_new_020.jpg

I'm also experimenting with different ideas for lights etc. Here is one of them that I screwed around with yesterday:

Just_Like_new_011.jpg

Those are cheap utility lights I picked up at my local discount tool/hardware store. $2.00 or less each. Drilled through the back on the drill-press. The lens is molded to the white plastic back, bonding them together, but a little work with a chisel:

Just_Like_new_013.jpg

...and they were good to go. Finished cleanup with one of my favorite tools:

Just_Like_new_014.jpg

I was wandering around Home Depot (I do that a lot) looking for useful or interesting objects for my scuplture and spotted the fencepost caps. It's the perfect shape for my tail light:

Just_Like_new_015.jpg

Just_Like_new_016.jpg

I also put one together for a turn signal but like them less:

Just_Like_new_017.jpg

Just_Like_new_018.jpg

They're bigger than I want and I would prefer a clear lens, so I'm still working on that one. I'd love to find a red bubble lens the same diameter as the fencepost cap...

TEEBS!!! that light setup looks wicked bad ass! well done, i also dig the double fill cap mustang tank. i will probably put one on mine when i am not a pour college student and i have more then 30 bucks to spend on a tank ;)

good stuff, I like the way you throw around your money. What kind of tube did you use for the swing arm brace?

Last edited:
I really appreciate the comments, guys. :)

Koy, I look forward to seeing that light setup. I need to stop over on your thread and check it out.

Rustynail, thanks man. I like the look of the mustang tank and the dual cap is seen less often. I'm probably going to end up dishing the sides, deepening the tunnel and I want to run a rib up the center of the tank to match the fenders. I'd love to fabricate my own tank, but I don't have access to the equipment to do it. I could hammer one out by hand but that's a long, long process.

I'm stuck between two paint ideas right now. Originally I was going to do the tank and fenders in tangerine candy with burnt orange and bronze accents and the frame chocolate candy. But when I threw on the rear fender I realized I was going to have a hard time painting it. It's an outer ring from a '39 Ford spare tire cover. The rust and wear has a lot of history. So, I may end up just clear-coating the fenders. It would be a really fun challenge to try to distress and age the tank to match. As for cost, I definitely hear you.

One other thing I've decided to change is to lace the front hub to a 16" rear rim. This will help get the older look I'm shooting for; especially with a full ribbed fender up front to match the back.

Things change from day to day. I have a lot of trouble settling for less than exactly what I see in my head. It could take a while for this thing to actually be "finished". I'm still on the fence about raking it out, even though I already added new gussets. And stretching the swingarm another 2 inches. And building girder forks. And converting to a single downtube. And... :D

[Edit] Thanks, Gary. Do you mean the fact that I'm cheap? :laugh: Why spend money on stuff that I can make myself for next to nothing? The brace is 1/2" round stock.

Teebs, with skills like that I am not totally convinced that you are, indeed, a full-blooded asshat.

Last edited:
Danno, mad skills aside, I am in fact a dyed-in-the-wool, one hundred percent pure, certified ass-hat. It's documented.

Oh, and thanks!

Prove it by posting your certificate of course completion from Asshat University. I still don't think you have the goods to back your claim.

If I'm 12, then my ex-wives are in deep shit. No wonder I'm so damaged.

I have a box full of mandrel bends I picked up on ebay for cheap to make my exhaust. If I were going to buy, I would definitely hit gordonscott up for his 2-1 hi-pipe megaphone or his mile pipes. I'm going to make a set of high/scrambler pipes. Straight pipes going all the way to the very rear of the bike with internal baffles.

I haven't paid a lot of attention to the motor yet. I have three of them, so no issues there. The one I pulled out of it has excellent compression and shifts nicely through all of the gears. (I picked it up and lifted it out, unlike rustynail, who had not just one, but TWO assistants. That fella needs a box of Wheaties. :wink2:)

I have a box full of new parts for the motor. New 36mm Mikuni's, a variety of needles etc, gaskets, filters, new sprockets for taller gearing, 130 link chain and whatever else, I can't remember.

I'm going to be doing a permanent magnet alternator setup, making my own since I refuse to pay $500 for a Sparx setup. Although it's a good investment for anyone not interested or able to set it up themselves. Also, a spin-on oil filter conversion; self-made or from 650central, not sure yet. I'm still on the fence with the Pamco ignition. I think it's a great conversion for cheap, but I've always liked the easy roadside maintenance of points. I've dealt with them for so long that it's really not much to take care of on the roadside (Always carry spares.) The Pamco will win out, just procrastinating.

I'll probably end up going with a big bore kit, but it will be a while before that happens, and ultimately a rephase.

Ummmm... my best bud drove over my foot with about 500 lbs of chopper that I don't own. He broke my foot (fractures to the 3rd & 4th metatarsals.) I'm reevaluating our "best friend" status.

Also, I've been riding ALOT. Sue me. :)

Also also, I run my welders off from a generator. The spigot that the muffler clamps to broke off and I've been procrastinating about fixing it. Not much of an excuse, but the weather is just too good, and my brain says RIDE RIDE RIDE!

I was shopping for a Harley wide glide front end for a while, but the more I think about it, the more I know I have to build a girder for this chop. Just picked up a 16" wheel on ebay to swap out on the front. Yeah Jimmy, I'm going to lace the 16" rim to that hub.

I've also decided for sure to remove the neck gussets I put on and rake the neck to about 35*, running a single downtube up front with a little gooseneck. It will look great with the girder.

Updates are going to be slow. I take a lot of time thinking things through, changing, rearranging. Doing those neck gussets was me rushing it. Now I could kick myself in the ass. If I could reach my own ass... and if it wouldn't do further injury to my foot.

Dude, sorry to hear about the foot. Yeah. Either he's a really good rider and hates you secretly or is a really shitty rider. Either way I don't see a win in the friend status.

I definitely would like to see how you do the front end rake, gooseneck, downtube and girder. I wanted to do a springer front end, but kinda tight right now. SO I may do one may not. Either way I like the look of the springers and girders much more than the stock.

I figured you'd change out the front hub. And you're going to do a 16" front and rear? So it'll kind of look like Angies bike? I'm sure you know which one I'm talking about.

Also I'm waiting for the rear suspension update as well!

In the words of the Great Joe Dirt. Keep on, keepin' on.

Well, I didn't get as much done as I'd hoped. It took longer to get my generator fixed than I'd planned. But here are a few pics of my 198(7?) air monoshock setup:

Attachments

• upper_monoshock_mount_002.jpg
    upper_monoshock_mount_002.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 198
  • upper_monoshock_mount_003.jpg
    upper_monoshock_mount_003.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 184
  • upper_monoshock_mount_004.jpg
    upper_monoshock_mount_004.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 170
  • upper_monoshock_mount_009.jpg
    upper_monoshock_mount_009.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 174
And a few more of miscellaneous stuff:

Attachments

• head_and_tail_001.jpg
    head_and_tail_001.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 183
  • cut_tank_tunnel_001.jpg
    cut_tank_tunnel_001.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 160
  • cut_tank_tunnel_002.jpg
    cut_tank_tunnel_002.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 163
  • front_seat_mount_001.jpg
    front_seat_mount_001.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 183
  • front_seat_mount_002.jpg
    front_seat_mount_002.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 174
thanks teebs :laugh: i am a weak ass mofo, now lie about that, im a soccer player so all my strength is in my legs! :banghead: plus, why do all the work when you can inlist lackies to do it for you! as king ass hat you must have some assy lackies at your disposal no??? :wink2: and i dont know how much gas that tank is going to hold with the big hole cut out of it! :laughing: but on a serious note its lookin good man! cant wait to see if finished and im stoked to see how you do the girder. you should definitly take pics as you go along so we can see the progression of how you did it. or you could pull an inxs and do a badass how-to on girder front ends :thumbsup: keep up the good work, im gonna go eat some wheaties!!! :laugh:

I'm going to finish the seat mounts today. I'll take pics once they're done.

Rusty, I stand corrected. You're kind of missing the point of being an ass-hat though; none of my minions will do a damn thing I say. What?...that big hole is in the top. How else am I gonna spoon all that Sterno into the tank?

I will definitely take pics of the girder build. You'll get to see some serious low-tech as I make the yokes (trees) with an OA torch, angle grinder and drill press.

I'm a Fruity Pebbles Man, myself. :pimp:

Back