my oil looks milkey, foamy,frothy.

2muchmoney

Noisepollution
Reaction score
I just put new oil,side filter and sump filter , started bike let it run all of 5min. Checked the sight glass and noticed oil looks all foamy and frothy. Like its full of millions of bubbles never noticed this before,is this normal?:wtf:

Moisture will make oil milky. What does it look like after it sits for an hour or overnight? If it clears up, I wouldn't worry. If not I would change the oil.

Only thing I know is this.

If the oil has a milky color (you could drain it a bit to be sure) you DO HAVE water in the oil. That´s bad!!
There´s a huge risk the engine will jam....soon.

I´ve been doing that mistake myself like 6-7 years ago on a t120R Triumph Bobber. Saw that the oil looked milky but went something like.....yeah,well,hmmm,uhhh,okay,hell I take a chance and few days later...BOOM. Fubar!!

/BigBoreSwede

Pardon my ignorance but where is the sight glass? I didn't know our bikes had one...

I.

Newer bikes have them in the right side cover.
images

With the clutch and the oil pump drive gears just beside the sight glass it, the oil does get a fair amount of agitation. This can be what you see. After it sets a few minutes does the oil on the dipstick look like oil or brown whipped cream? If it looks like brown whipped cream it may have some water in there.
Did you warm up the engine before you drained the oil? If you drained it then it sat for awhile waiting for a new sump filter, moisture may have condensed on the inside of the engine. If it has been as wet at your place as it has been here then thats quite likely. I might let it run and get warmmed up good, a 30 minute ride. Then look things over it may be better.
Water is one byproduct of combustion, it takes a few minutes after the engine gets warm to boil off this water and other impurities in the oil.
Mine often looks a bit frothy if I let the bike set very long.

Thanks for all the reply's , I let the bike sit over night and checked it in the morning,oil looks fine now. I drained some oil out to look at it ,not milky, just looks frothy when I check it in the sight glass.

Back