DSCI0075-2.jpg

IM000532.jpg

DSCI0076-4.jpg

DSCI0077-4.jpg

DSCI0080-2.jpg

DSCI0074-6.jpg

DSCI0076-5.jpg

DSCI0074-5.jpg

Wow that's pretty cool.. A little modern technology mixed in with the old look. :thumbsup:

Two thumbs up, keep the pictures coming!
Oh and a ride report when it's ready. Are you going to attempt to license it?

Hi guys,

Now *THAT* is cool!!! In fact, beautiful, and I want one---when does the production line begin? :laugh:

I've got an old Wisconsin 12 horse single flattie with magneto ignition that is on a wood splitter that would look really neat in something like that....y'know, seriously, the only thing I might change would be the headlight. On some plans I found for a replica 1902 Oldsmobile, they used a sealed-beam flashlight inside a porch lamp fixture that looked just like a gas light. Kinda cool.....

Anyway, I'm seriously impressed! Beautiful work!! :thumbsup:

I plan to add a chain and belt guard. I still have a long way to go. It will be painted when it's finished.

Barb mentioned gas light-looking headlight. I'd be really temped to put some form of one of these on.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Coalminers-AUTO...536?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item255f7ab650

They're brighter than any flashlight. It would look unreal flickering down the street. The bottom screws off and you put carbide chunks in there, and you put water in the top and it drips down releasing acetylene gas. Burns with a brilliant white light. The wire on top controls the drip rate and the brightness. I have two of these lamps; one belonged to gramps and the other was my brother's from when he almost became a miner...

Chances are I will be pulling the light off anyway. Most of the "racers" didn't have lights either. I just tossed it on there. I have a Nightrider light I use on my commuter bike that is really bright and it just snaps on with a battery pack. I probably won't ride it at night anyway. It's more of a toy to haul in my truck when I go to hot rod shows. It's just a little "putter". I figured top speed to be about 25 mph. So not to fast.

I would put it on just to see if anybody knows what it is and comments on it. If they do, they might have a good tale to tell.

Cool looking bike ! I have a 1970 Rupp mini bike that has a 125cc Tecumseh motor that looks like it was made for a roto-tiller. The Rupp has a torque converter set up that is nearly bullet proof, it has a belt running off of the engine to a jack shaft in front of the back wheel. From the jack shaft, there is a chain running to the back wheel. The torque converter gives plenty of power at slow speeds on rough ground and plenty of speed on tarmac. As a matter of fact, I think it goes way too fast on tarmac to be safe with it's little 10 inch wheels.

The point I am getting at is that I always thought the Rupp set up would work great on a project bike like yours. It's a project that I never got around to doing, I'm glad to see you are making good progress, keep the photos coming.

This is the old Rupp, note the torque converter cover:

BummieslittleRupp.jpg

Last edited:
I looked into that style of clutch, but I wanted something a bit more raw. It becomes difficult to mount sprockets on older style hubs. I have a BIG drum brake rear hub, with no place to mount a sprocket on the left side. I ran the belt in order to keep my pedals, so it's still a "bicycle"...;) Mine is pedal start, not pull start anymore also.

Here are some more of the build photos in no particular order.

This is the flywheel after shaving off all the old cooling fins.

DSCI0074-8.jpg

DSCI0076-4.jpg

Petcock before-

DSCI0075-3.jpg

After.

DSCI0074-3.jpg

Magneto plate before cutting. I didn't need all the extra since I'm losing the fan and fan cover.

DSCI0076-2.jpg

DSCI0077-2.jpg

Internal, inverted brake levers and thumb throttle made from an old 3-speed shifter. The leather for the grips is normally used for relacing baseball gloves.

DSCI0082-1.jpg

DSCI0083-1.jpg

Making a dipstick tube from hardware store parts.

DSCI0076-1.jpg

Removing/shaving the breather/drain-

This needs to be removed, so I cut it off-

DSCI0075.jpg

Tap using a pedal tap we had at the shop-

DSCI0078.jpg

Install pedal-

DSCI0079.jpg

Cut off pedal

DSCI0080.jpg

Mounting a rim as a sheave-

DSCI0074.jpg

DSCI0071.jpg

The rear drum hub. It's an old ATOM-

DSCI0049.jpg

The engine when I bought it-

DSC00596.jpg

DSC00595.jpg

Olddude. Your bikes are part of the reason I was inspired to build one. I already know that I'm gonna have to build another though. I'm gonna scratch build my next frame. I'm working on getting a jig made this Winter.

Beautiful stuff.

Back