My sportbike build- an update....

I have no knowledge so I'm just asking, that intake box looks pretty heavy duty. Is there a reason for that? Or is the aluminum so light that is just easy to work with something a little thicker?

I would imagine the whole intake plenum and runners are less than 3lbs or so

Good question on the weight. I'm hoping for somewhere about 450lbs or so. Maybe more. Steel is heavy :(

Got some more work done. Finally got the intercooler mounted. These brackets will have some bracing welded to them so they don't crack, but I'm pretty happy with how they came out. Now I can finally begin to make my intercooler piping.

I left the brackets a bit loose so I could fit some adhesive foam under them on the top and bottom. I might rubber mount it as well just to combat the ridiculous vibration these engines have.

DSCF1574.jpg

DSCF1575.jpg

DSCF1577.jpg

DSCF1588.jpg

DSCF1585.jpg

Also, the blowoff valve was mounted on some tubing that was too small, so I cut it off of that pipe, reamed out the mounting flange and made a new mount in the proper size tubing.

DSCF1581.jpg

DSCF1582.jpg

DSCF1583.jpg

I didn't weld it in place yet, want to finalize the position first, have to build the rest of the tube first. Here's some pictures of the proposed location though.

DSCF1591.jpg

DSCF1593.jpg

Thanks for looking
Sky

This thing is a monster..

What is that intercooler off of? If you don't mind me asking, how much $$$ do you think you'll have wrapped up into this thing when it's done?

how did you replace the tank and seat? I am looking to do this to an 83 400 special.
I want a short tail but road bike tank. and also a smaller seat to suit the tail but will I have to make the seat?

What is that intercooler off of? If you don't mind me asking, how much $$$ do you think you'll have wrapped up into this thing when it's done?

The intercooler is from an Audi S4

I should have around $3700 into it total when done. That's the current goal anyway.

Haven't gotten any new work done to the bike, but I did get a new tool!

DSCF1598.jpg

So first off, I realize it's a harbor freight lathe. I got it barely used for a really good price, and for the type of work I expect to do it should be great. I'm really happy and can't wait to try it out.

What size is that lathe and what is the HP?

I've been seriously thinking about getting a lathe for about a year now. Looked at an old South Bend then almost bought a used Jet 9x20. I did buy a used Jet 5x6 horizontal bandsaw (per your recommendation) and love it. I've read some good things about the Grizzly G0602 lathe if I decide to buy new. Seems like I always need the money for something else.

Let us know how you like the lathe. Do you have any projects lined up for it yet?

Sorry for the late reply. The lathe is a 8 1/2" x 18" and the motor is a 3/4hp motor.

I'm planning on machining the injector bungs for the fuel rail with it. I'll let you know how it turns out!

So I got to finish up my intercooler piping yesterday, very excited about this step because it finally means the air path system is completely tacked together! from the inlet on the turbo straight out through the exhaust it's all together. Yay!
Let me point out that I realize the sharp bend right off the turbo outlet is not conducive to power, and that's fine. I'm very pleased with how it looks. Also I made a large effort to make sure the piping did not stick out past the framerail, I think it turned out well.

Anyway, check the pics and let me know whatcha think.
thanks
Sky

DSCF1603.jpg

DSCF1613.jpg

DSCF1606.jpg

DSCF1607.jpg

DSCF1612.jpg

DSCF1614.jpg

DSCF1618.jpg

Can't wait to hear that blow-off valve go off!

I think you need to find work in TX..... That's what I think... and when you do find work here be so kind to tell me where you live and where the key to your garage is...

you say your alright with that bend but , wont the impellers have to work harder? to pull the air thru? or does it not matter with it being on the intercooler side?
I'm not very familiar with turbo stuff, so I dont know, just thought I'de throw that out there.
Ive been watching this biuld from the very beginning over at the garage, and I cant wait to see (and hear!) this thing run

Nah, the air is actually being pushed through that area. The impellers are powered by the exhaust gasses which spin up the compressor side, that pushes the air through the intercooler and into the engine.

I'm very interested in what this thing is going to sound like!

That thing is looking crazy! What are you going to run for an intake/air filter? Doesn't look like a whole lot of space left on that right side.

And BTW, congrats on the lathe aquisition. You're going to find yourself using it more than you could have imagined.

Sorry for the late reply. The lathe is a 8 1/2" x 18" and the motor is a 3/4hp motor.

I'm planning on machining the injector bungs for the fuel rail with it. I'll let you know how it turns out!

No problem. Very cool. That's about the size I'm looking for or maybe just slightly bigger. Any idea how much that one weighs? Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

It's definitely a tank. I'd say about 200lbs or maybe a bit more.

For the air intake I'm planning on making a little 90 degree elbow off of the turbo inlet to a small filter.

back to the progress pics:

I've been having a really tough time figuring out how to mount my rearsets. So I decided to take advantage of the factory mounting points that I had left in place (I'm glad i did that) I got a set of factory pegs:

DSCF1619.jpg

These were a touch too long, so I took about four inches out of them :)

DSCF1620.jpg

DSCF1622.jpg

DSCF1623.jpg

This puts the pegs in a perfect spot. I'm going to cut those pegs off and use them on my chopper redesign this winter. These mounting brackets will become the base for my ZX6R pegs.

I also got to use my lathe for the first time! When I first tried it, the lathe wasn't spinning true, there was a tiny wobble in it, which of course makes a lathe useless. Anyway I started freaking out a bit, but then I tried to tackle the problem logically. Eventually I pulled the chuck off, and found the backing plate where the holes were drilled had some small burrs still in place, so I used the lathe to face it up a bit, put the chuck back on and Voila! works like a champ.

Started making my fuel rail injector bungs. I don't really have a before shot, but just imagine some 7/8" bar stock. I cut down the outside to about 3/4", then drilled the center and bored it to 17/32" Then I chamfered the end to ease the o-ring entry. I still need to polish the inside a bit, and take some of the edge off. Overall though I'm extremely pleased with how they turned out, and I'm having a blast with this new tool.

DSCF1634.jpg

Tapping 1/4" plate is a pain in the butt:

DSCF1642.jpg

DSCF1644.jpg

DSCF1646.jpg

Still some finishing work needed before I weld it up, but it's one step closer, a million to go.

Thanks for looking
Sky

great build, you've got skills.
i think xsjohn posted something about blocking the airflow to the haeds whit an oilcooler that wasn't good, arn't you affraid the intercooler will block to much air for cooling the heads.
(i've got no experience whit this, just something i read on this forum).

Good work on the injector bungs.... Is the square tubing for the fuel rail hollow? If so, it looks like it's going to hold quite a bit of fuel.

Back