Mystery Solved...

Downeaster

Everything in XS
Top Contributor
Reaction score
ehoViT1.jpg

Layer flock has been shrinking...again...

Need to reset the date/time on the game camera to see if I can determine it's schedule. Looks anemic to me, I'm wanna be a Good Guy and give it a lead injection...

We've got them around here too.
Neighbors to the north of us on a dead end lane were losing chickens to foxes. Last year a Pyrenees was dumped off on the ridge and was making the rounds scrounging for food. Before animal control could catch up with him he wandered to those neighbors and settled right in, and they're glad for it.
"Lucky" immediately took charge of the chickens and now has finally stopped chasing the cows.
He has free range, of course, but stays on the farm. Sometimes in the evening I'll hear him sounding off in the hollers, letting the varmints know he's on watch. Neighbors say they've gotten used to it....

Just guessing here but come spring there will be more food elsewhere . Locking in the animals at home .And maybe it will be gone again

After a couple of days of nothing, the kitty came by again yesterday afternoon around 4:30.

I bought a cheap ($40) motion sensing wireless camera and this morning I mounted it to surveil the chicken yard. It's pretty much at the fringe of wireless connection but it is working.

I let the bai...uh...chickens out this morning. Want to see A) if they even dare to come out and 2) if the camera catches them.

The two times I've gotten pictures of Bob's Kitty, it's been late afternoon, so I'm hoping that's a pattern and I can put the birds back in before he stops by for a snack.

Years ago I had a Collie girl that watched out for my chickens for me. Who knows what that brave girl went up against with coyotes, raccoons, weasels, fox etc. Had a few of the meanest Rhode Island roosters that lost the fight.

Last edited:
Consider this: every animal has as much right to life as you do. Why not make the chicken coop cat proof and protect your wildlife?
For the most part, that is my policy. However, a cat-proof pen is cost prohibitive and way more work than my tired old bod is prepared to do. There is plenty of wildlife for the cat to live on, hitting Downeaster's Chicken Buffet is a no-go.

I spotted him late yesterday and cranked off several rounds in his direction (didn't hit him, short-barreled .22 pistol) perhaps that will convince him to patronize other restaurants.

A shotgun makes a pretty convincing move along buster statement, as compared to say a 22....
Bobcats are now regulars round here. Nephew had game cam pics of mom and a pair of big "kittens". Another shot was prolly dad, an impressive size kitty.
He and some buds were calling 'Yoties (wounded rabbit screams) and a bob kitty came in to see what was up.
I played yootoob rabbit distress sounds just now and my lap kitty got VERY excited. LOL

Might be different in the USA
And depending on where but here a shooting of predators can mean big problems.
Jail time and harassment from animal protection groups.
Honest people trying to protect their livestock One person shot a Wolf attacking his sheep
The law came down hard on him.
At times there has been hard conflicts between the big city environmentalists and fex Hunters that wants to hunt Moose
And the wolves had taken most of them Virtually No game to hunt in their domain anymore .
The few still there they cannot shoot ..needed for reproduction

Few here would tell anyone if they need to shoot. Keeping it on the Low .

There is (or at least was...) a season for hunting them, but if they're destroying livestock you're allowed to eliminate them. Only restriction is that if you want to keep the pelt, you need a tag from the Game Warden.

Back