Need Help! Electrical problem after Pamco install

Uggghhhh this is getting so frustrating!! So I disconnected the Pamco, put everything back exactly as it was before, and now when I turn the key on with the killswitch in the off position all the lights come on like normal, but when I switch the killswitch to the RUN position, all the lights go very dim and it won't fire when I hit the start button... Anyone tell me what would cause that symptom? I'm really upset, I just had to put my dog to sleep yesterday and I just want my friggin bike running so I can go for a ride and let off some steam... Any help would be really hugely appreciated. Thanks guys.

Just throwing this out there, but how is the charge on your battery? If you have drained it during your trouble shooting it may be causing problems. These 650’s need good string power supply to run properly.

I believe the electrical wiring is wrong or a short in the Kill Switch
Could consider to bypass the kill switch as in # 15
Just for testing and post what that changes
This is of course to be careful about And doing some personal evaluation if one feels certain and confident one can take that risk

I have not seen the Pamco installation instructions or model so I can google it / or pictures of the wiring / or knows the exact status
of the wiring ( Or changes ) nor if there are any blown or replaced fuses.
Which could give info
But if stock wiring it would be possible to draw a wire to the Coils from the Fusebox .
I looks as there is only one Coil on that model
Leaving the kill switch inoperable.

Again this is pretty much guessing If that bypass of Kill Switch is done then the problem can be further downstream as in coils

The battery is fully charged... I guess I'm gonna start going thru the wiring harness looking for shorts... It sucks not knowing what Is causing the issue that would really help me in trying to find the solution...

I'm not much help, but having smoked the loom twice, and with the lights working, with the kill switch turned on, then the lights dimming, when it is on run, i would hazard there are fused wires on the down side of the switch..............Do a continuity test of the whole loom, starting from the kill switch and on............

The Fuses -- The Fuses -- The Fuses Please change those first
Those are to large according rumor.

with the little green blade mini fuses

I think the term is " Overfusing "
that means that if something goes wrong as in a short circuit the battery power can cause
a to large current into the electrical wiring .And parts ---expensive parts can burn.
It can be to late ... but if not there is a possibility to prevent damage by replacing the fuses
The outcome can be a damage to a fuse a 50 cents instead of a 100 - 200 dollar ignition box and coils
And if the fuse blows ..One can use that as information for fault finding
Since there are 5 of them connected to different parts of the electrical system-
We cant help you effectively without pictures
Flipping the kill switch to on connects the coils to battery and fuses
And the rest of the ignition
One way to do it is ( With smaller fuses there )
Switch kill switch off
Disconnect the coil or if --- two one at the time watching what happens with lights
Reconnect coils and do the same thing with other newly installed electrical parts.
Disconnecting all of that can locate it to the kill switch itself.
But again that is a risk burning parts up.
It is something in Kill switch or after downstream

The fuses have been changed, I appreciate all the advice I gonna try it all tomorrow. Thanks you guys. If I can't get it sorted tomorrow following some of these suggestions then I will try and ask a friend to use their phone to take some pics, as the camera on my crap phone is shot.

I SOLVED IT!!! So as it turned out the primary coil was shorted to ground. After confirming it with a multimeter I disconnected the coil pack completely and was able to turn the key on and flip the killswitch to RUN and the lights stayed on strong and bright, no hot wires, no smoke, nothing. So Im gonna order a new coil pack and install it with fingers crossed, but I'm pretty sure that was the problem!!! I'm so happy that I figured it out

Back