Need help with VIN

On the frame it's only stamped the 9digit #. No numbers anywhere else. The bike has been chopped to make it a rigid hardtail. So no other #'s anywhere.
The 4m4 tells me it's an 81 according to the schematics sent. So did they have the 17digits then?

The 17 digit VIN initial effective date was 9/1980, but apparently there were extensions, waivers etc. Your '81 may have well been manufactured and imported prior to the effective date. My '82 does have a sticker on the front of neck with a 17 digit VIN, frame was stamped with 9 digits. Original MI title had 9 digits, now has WV title with 9 digits. If your sticker is missing and no title-in-hand, expect problems.

The 17 digit VIN initial effective date was 9/1980, but apparently there were extensions, waivers etc. Your '81 may have well been manufactured and imported prior to the effective date. My '82 does have a sticker on the front of neck with a 17 digit VIN, frame was stamped with 9 digits. Original MI title had 9 digits, now has WV title with 9 digits. If your sticker is missing and no title-in-hand, expect problems.
Oh yea... very well expecting problems. Thx for the quick responses as well. I had received this bike from my cousin in CA and he bought it in 2018 and started building it and before he could register it, he lost the title. So, I said give me the bike and I'll finish it, which was in 2020 and it's been sitting in my garage for 2yrs. When I started on it... I noticed the neck had a short vin.(that's where I started to panic)... all I have is a previous CA plate and a 9digit vin.

My next question would be...

1) should I still go to the DMV here in NV and explain my case to how I acquired the bike?...

2) if the DMV here in NV fails me, I saw a guy in this site that can possibly help get a vin sticker... is this a thing?

Sorry for these crazy scenarios.

My recommendation would be to get the cousin to apply for lost/duplicate title; most states have that process for a nominal fee. If the title can be produced in CA (even if he has to go to the PO), NV will accept it with whatever VIN (hopefully) is on the CA title. I wouldn't talk to NV until that (CA) attempt is exhausted.

My 81 has 9 digits stamped and 17 on vin sticker. It was originally registered with 9 digits in 81 I assume. State was fine with it but my insurance company didn’t like it. Major hassle and money to get title corrected with 17 digit on it. I should have told insurance company that the state is good with it for 40 years you can be too!

My 81 has 9 digits stamped and 17 on vin sticker. It was originally registered with 9 digits in 81 I assume. State was fine with it but my insurance company didn’t like it. Major hassle and money to get title corrected with 17 digit on it. I should have told insurance company that the state is good with it for 40 years you can be too!
Yep, I had same issues with an old-line insurance underwriter on old bikes ('74) with non-17VIN's. Went to Progressive and they had no problem with the actual serial number. They also got my '71, '76, '80 (9 digit) & '82 (9 digit) - F'm if they don't want $

Ok... that helps a lot... I was pulling my hair out about this. Guess first things first... going to the dmv. Fun part is... I have no paperwork on this bike. And it's out of state! Basically a barn yard bike... lol. Thanx for the help and will be back with more questions.
Update: California had the bike in their database by checking up the license plate... just have to pay titling and transfer fees. Victory today!

Back