Trying to get model number, need help

JustBill

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi,
New guy here. I've been picking up some great stuff here, tia. In trying to order some parts I am having a little trouble figuring out model number of my bike. I got as far as xs650 and that is about it. Vin # 4m4-002270, kind of a short one! Thanks for any help you can pass my way. Bill

That number would seem to indicate the bike is a 1981 Special, an XS650SH. If that's a pic of the bike in your avatar, then it appears to be true. Show us better full size pics and we can verify it further.

What parts are you trying to order? Many are good for lots of years.

Thanks! I'll take a couple tomorrow. That was the only one I have taken so far. The sticker stated manf. 6-80. They must have been trying to get ahead when they were putting them together! I'm missing a left side plastic cover that covers airbox with the 650 Special written on it and I'd really like to find a set of crash bars for it. Thanks again, Bill

Yes, that is a rather early manufacture date for an '81 SH model but on the vin # charts I checked, the SH model is the only one who's number starts with 4M4. There are some detail changes between it and other models so that's why better pics will help. One thing I can tell you - the '81 Special was the only one that had a drum rear mag.

Testing out to see if I can figure out how to post a pic. I'll grab more if this works.

upload_2021-5-23_18-35-14.jpeg
upload_2021-5-23_18-35-14.jpeg

Great pics and nice looking bike, very tidy. Don't see many of the Grey 81SH's.

See the discoloring on the left header. That shouldn't be there as the pipes a double walled, (meaning their is a smaller diameter header inside the chrome header), and this stops the chrome from discoloring fro m the heat.

looks like your running lean on the left side. Gonna need to clean your carbs and check the tank for rust or debris.

Great pics and nice looking bike, very tidy. Don't see many of the Grey 81SH's.

See the discoloring on the left header. That shouldn't be there as the pipes a double walled, (meaning their is a smaller diameter header inside the chrome header), and this stops the chrome from discoloring fro m the heat.

looks like your running lean on the left side. Gonna need to clean your carbs and check the tank for rust or debris.

Thanks! Still getting it safe to ride. It sat for a number of years. Still showing 4900 miles on the odometer. Last owner was a nice guy but I don't think had much wrench time on bikes. Did a fluid r/r on front brake. First opening of the bleeder and a two inch piece of almost solid gunk came out. Looked like a thick pencil lead coming out of the bleeder. In all the years of bleeding brakes I have never seen anything like that! Thanks again for the tip on the exhaust pipe.
Bill

The problem with just flushing brakes out is all the gunk doesn't come out. It would be a good idea to disassemble the caliper and MC and really clean them out.

The problem with just flushing brakes out is all the gunk doesn't come out. It would be a good idea to disassemble the caliper and MC and really clean them out.

Done! After the pencil lead thing came out I turned to my son and told him this was going to take longer than I thought it was. Between that and fighting the removal of the oil drain plugs the joy of working on a 40 year old bike might be fading some. Haha!

Oil drain plugs lol
Bike up on the service stand
Half inch breaker bar and the proper socket
Three foot pipe extension for the breaker bar
Somebody to hold the bike from moving and then go King Kong
Kinda normal procedure for a dirt floor mechanic.
Electric impact drill and a lift for those with the means.

Oil drain plugs lol
Bike up on the service stand
Half inch breaker bar and the proper socket
Three foot pipe extension for the breaker bar
Somebody to hold the bike from moving and then go King Kong
Kinda normal procedure for a dirt floor mechanic.
Electric impact drill and a lift for those with the means.

Got the plug that is in there flat to the case that way. The one that is at a bit of an angle, nope. Lifted the back tire off the ground and decided to visit this problem at a different time before I brake something. It allowed the majority of oil to drain. A challenge for later.

I hope you had new drain plug sealing washers to install on hand. That's why the plugs were so tight to begin with, the old sealing washers were used up and all flattened out. This is pretty typical with these bikes. No one seemed to change those washers out when needed and just kept using them way beyond their service life.

Back