Need help with wiring pamco with no battery

ROTTEN

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I am trying to wire my bike up but cant seem to get spark, i changed out the rotor and everything for batteryless operation, got everything i need but seem to be missing something in the wiring. most diagrams i find arent making sense because the wires comin out of my reg/rec are 3yellows 2reds and 2greens. the three yellows go to the alternator wires but how do the rest work, i had a red going to my ignition and to the coil, then green from ignition to coil, and black from ignition to ground, but still have 2 greens and a red out of the reg/rec i need to figure out.

please help

Rotten,

There are usually two things that happen when trying to start the engine after a conversion to a PM alternator:

1. The engine wont start.
2. The engine starts on the first kick, the voltage from the alternator immediately goes to 20 + volts and fries the entire electrical system, including the PAMCO.

So, I would suggest the following procedure.

It is difficult to troubleshoot the charging system if the engine is not running, so get the engine running first:

1. Temporarily connect the PAMCO ignition to an external battery sitting on the floor, that is not connected to the bikes electrical system.
2. Connect a voltmeter to the capacitor
3. Put on a set of safety goggles.
4. Start the engine and immediately watch the voltage.
5. Do not allow the voltage to go above 15 Volts.
6. Proceed to troubleshoot the charging system.

When you have found the problem with the charging system, then you can install the PAMCO to the bikes electrical system.

#3 above is no joke. If you alternator puts out too high a voltage, the capacitor can explode.

I might suggest getting a reg/rec with just 5 wires. I have read a few threads on using a 7 wire reg/rec I think they hook the reds together and both to the capacitor + , the greens together and hook the ground.
I agree on the goggles, a full face mask is even better. I've had batteries blow up. Acid in your eyes can blind you, acid on your face hurts.

Back