new cam chain toooo tight.

corwine123

XS650 Member
Reaction score
i have been raplacing my cam chain guide So i decided to replace the chain as well. I go tthe head back on and am now trying to put the new cahin around the cam sprocket. I can't get it to go on at all. I cannot even get the cam sprocket in place as the chain gets in the way and doesnt have enough slack to let it slip through. what should I do?

I take it you connected the chain already? It's easier to do that after the cam is installed. Take the bearings off the cam and then it should drop down enough to slip under the chain. You can also install the 4 outside acorn nuts w/ spacers and snug them up slightly to press the new head gasket flat.

i dont have the cam chain bearings installed. the tensioner is backed out real far, but can I back it out too far/ all the way? thanks for the help.

You can take the tensioner right out if you like, in fact, you probably should. Sometimes the chain bunches up down around the lower sprocket on the crank. Rotate the motor back and forth a bit, maybe a half turn each way, while gently pulling up on both sides of the chain and maybe you can get it straightened out.

I am going to ask because, I also put in new cam chain last night and I am 1 tooth short to getting master link to fit. I know they come from factory tight but should they be this tight? any ideas?

sorry if this is a repeat question I posted on 650 garage as well. I would like to get it done sooner than later.

thanks very much for any advice

Do as stated above, add spacers and the 4 outside nuts snugged down, and rotate the motor back and forth while pulling up on both ends of the chain. I've only had one fit right on, one had to be stretched and pried slightly, the rest needed the above steps.

I remove the cam chain completely and with the ends of the chain hanging one on front and the other on the back of head I time the camshaft.Done that I wrap the chain around the sproket and the connecting link should go on right away.If you are 1 tooth short then the chain could be a bit short.I really don't know how you ca gain that extra room for the tooth.

what I have to verify is that I have the guide in correctly it was 11pm last night when I discovered that it would not fit. I will check the guide
I also want to snug down on the gaskets with a little weight all the gaskets are new and spongy

thanks for the reply
I hope to have some success tonight after work

I will post up my final result

Last edited:
well, again I say thanks for the info. I apparently had a kink on the lower gear I moved back and forth and re assembled and it is tight. but the master is on and my engine is almost buttoned up and hopefully by next week will be back on the road

cheers
Mortikan

Back