New guy from North Carolina

TwistedThrottle

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, new guy here from Northeast NC. I just purchased my first xs650 ('79 special 2) so I'll be spending quite a lot of time here researching the topic. Im going to build a hard tail for it (as soon as I get a new 1-1/8" die in for my bender) among other things. Actually, this bike will be the third one I'm in the process of building. The other two are a 2001 harley softail and a 2001 Vstar 1100 and I also have an old Yamaha big wheel that I'll get around to restoring someday too. I'm definitely at capacity right now in my single car garage! Anyways I just wanted to introduce myself and I look forward to being a member here. Thanks.

Hi Twisted Throttle and welcome,
I had to research "Yamaha Big Wheel" as I'd forgotten about them and are those other two bikes still "works in progress"?
And I suppose if you've never ridden on a hardtail you've no idea how hard they are on your spine.
Do yourself a favor though, buy a titled neck from our classifieds and scratch-build the frame.
Then you can save the stock frame for later.

Fredintoon, yeah the big wheel is an interesting machine that not many people remember. Pretty ugly really but i have a soft spot for them and they are unstoppable offroad.

I do have experience riding hard tails. You're right though they are rough on the back, guess I'm just a glutton for punishment haha. Not a bad idea on purchasing a titled neck but I just dont have any clue why I would hang onto the old frame. I'm not sure I really want the headache of trying to title a scratch built frame either but I'll definitely keep it in mind though. I appreciate the suggestion.

Last edited:
Back