New guy in Tucson

pago cruiser

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
After lurking awhile and buying a bunch of parts from the classifieds, figured time to say hello. Located outside Tucson - supposed to be 105 today :eek:. Old guy engineer. Riding all my life. Currently have a dual sport 09 XR1200 HD with a Ural hack, naked 84 GL1200, 84 GL1200 hack, 08 KLR650 hack, 02 ST1100, 85 V65 Sabre, 93 VX800, and a pair of 95 Triumph Thunderbird Triples. And a very understanding wife...:D And no, they are not all runners...:shrug:

Just acquired a 78 "Special", with hi back seat, 16" rear rim, and most parts really tired... I was picking up some parts from my polisher in a little industrial complex, and a pickup rolled up to the auto repair place across the alley. Hmmm. That looks like an XS650 tank-that lost in a fight with a sledgehammer.... and frame. and forks. and cases. All in boxes.... Everything except crank and carbs. The gent had bought the bike from an acquaintance who got it from a lady who asked him to clean up her yard; seems there's always a story... So for less than the price of my alum polishing, ended up with a boxed 650... With no title; but I did get a bill of sale. :thumbsup:

Currently trying to get it titled before I put much into it. AZ is a pita when it comes to this. Did a VIN check online, and it came back clean; but I've been to two private DMV/title places (AZ gov'mnt is using these more and more), but because the PO had dismantled the engine to pull the crank, and pulled of the forks/wheels/etc, the DMV folks would not give me an inspection... BOTH places apparently cannot just check the VIN: the bike has to be completely assembled. So it looks like I have to re-assemble the parts (maybe just empty cases, :wink2:), then get a title started. These folks are so...anal is the word that comes to mind. I found the Vermont forms for getting a title, which basically just requires an official in AZ to inspect the VIN, then mail them the form. That's it; nothing more. But both places said they could not do that, unless they did a full inspection; and they can't do an inspection unless the bike is completely assembled...

It's like, they have a playbook; and if you ask them to do something NOT in the playbook (like inspect a VIN and sign a "Vermont VIN Inspection Form") they just get a blank glazed look in their eyes, and just ...fail. Does not compute. :wtf:

Anyhow, going a light dual sport/gentlemen's cruiser route. Mule swingarm, KZ750 cush/wire/disk rear wheel (will be running a 17"x3.5" Excell wheel), high ratio primary gears (to allow freeway gearing on the rear wheel and not saw the swingarm in half - been there on the HD), rephrased 750 engine, 08 KLR 650 forks (2" longer and 2" more travel), 1" over/more travel shocks, Pameco ignition/charger, oil cooler, and svelte saddlebags. A bike is almost useless if you can't carry stuff... Should be fun. I'll start a build thread eventually, but sometimes work just steals my life for months at a time, so progress is really jerky...

Regards all.

IMG_9351.jpg

IMG_9352.jpg

IMG_9355.jpg

I made the mistake once of buying a frame cause it was cheap and didn't even have a bill of sale. I had it ran and came back clean. I also live in Arizona. The frames still sitting on my back porch.
jefft

Dang! So have you been down this path? I'd like to know how you got the VIN run; I can't even get past that hurdle officially. I could only do a couple of the online sites.

I have a call into a DPS (that would be Dept of Public Safety (Police) for those not local...) officer, who is supposed to return my call tomorrow. Yep. Saturday; we'll see. The last private DMV place I tried (in Sierra Vista) said that this guy is qualified to do a "Level 2" inspection; which is apparently what happens when a bike to be inspected is in pieces... I'm hopeful I can get across that all I am requesting is a verification of the VIN, and a signature; then I'll get a clear title thru Vermont. I'm not sure, but due to the pita this has become, I'd bet that a "Level 2" inspection gets me a salvage title. Makes perfect sense to someone who knows absolutely nothing about motorcycles; the engine has been removed from the frame, the lights taken off, wheels pulled, forks pulled, etc. :banghead:

If this is the case, maybe I should 'fess up. At one time or another, I have stripped most of my meager fleet down to the frame for powdercoat, paint, changed tanks, changing engines, changing forks, wheels, fenders, etc. I guess I should ask for salvage titles on everything...:doh:

Did a bit more searching, and found this thread.
http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bboard/showthread.php?18301-International-Title-Service
Good advice therein. Seems these folks are hyper paranoid about words like taken apart, put together, built, swapped, custom, replaced, fabricated, restored, etc. Think I may just re-assemble my piles into an apparent "runner", and start the process over.
"Gee, I'm sorry I can't get it to start. There's a hole in the piston that the authorized Yamaha dealer is going to repair for me"...

Last edited:
I just loaded the frame up in the truck and ran it by the local police station and asked an officer if he could check. He came back in a few minutes and said it was clean. He might have just have went and had a donut and cup of coffee. LOL. Anyway I just wonder if anyone has got to far into a build before they found out what they were up against. I think this whole title thing needs to be unified between all states. There seems to be a huge range of differences depending where you live. One good thing I will report about Arizona is this year they finally did do away with emission testing on motorcycles. That was a racket.
jefft

I bought what amounted to an engine and frame from Sparks Cycle on Grant a few years back. Had no title. Ran numbers through Tucson PD, said they were clean. Built the whole bike and took it down for the level two inspection. Engine came back on the national list as stolen in 1988. Towed it to County Sheriff's impound yard right there and then. Ultimately got it back after they couldn't find a previous owner.

I'm in Grand Junction, CO now for a year or so. Should be back to the heat soon.:bike:

Tony - the VX is an interesting bike, no? V-Twin, overhead cam, water cooled,shaft drive; something HD shoulda built 20 years ago. Mines been modded a bit...almost finished.

IMG_3489.jpg

plane ben - Sparks Cycle?! They're my goto place for minor stuff and tire changes. Big Mike is still the owner. I was there last week asking him about this title stuff. He called up a friend at one of the private title companies - and got the same info I was told. They could not "inspect" a bike that had been "dismantled". I told the place that I just wanted a VIN check - the response was that they could only do that as part of a Level 1 Inspection. WTF? You'd think I was asking to license a tank or something...

Just for the record, seems the cop blew me off - no call today. Sigh. Guess I'll just assemble all the crap parts next weekend and make it look functional, then trailer to the local DMV. I'd REALLY hate to do a build and then have it confiscated... THAT must have really sucked; glad you got it back.

Ahhhh it only got to 103 today! I rode the SG up MT Lemmon to get away from the heat a while. Great ride. Cool temps. Pine scents. All sorts of scenery. Rocks and Hoodoos to forest. Saw some young riders passing on the double line and speedy riders giving us all a black eye but, what can ya do? Sure I did my best Mike Hailwood impressions but at least is was at the same speed the group was. 30-45 mph.

Good luck on your project. I know your pain on Bonded titles. Just went through it on a KZ650 project. Tried just a rolling frame. Inspector said "I need a cycle not a frame. Wheels, engine and tank". He did run the VIN and said it was clean. A few weeks later I installed an engine and tank on the rolling frame and next step was a bond for the value put on the checklist and I would get a title. No certified letters like last time a few years back. Bond agent said bonds under a $1000 were $50. Got it and took all the papers back to ADOT and I had a title.

azman - now THAT'S good news. Mind telling me which MVD/DMV location you used?
And was the title you received, "normal", for lack of a better term? Other than "normal", I've heard of salvage titles; which makes the bike worth about half when it's sold. If that's the case, screw it' I'd just buy a titled frame and move one...

I'm also new to Tucson, as of three weeks ago, and just started graduate school at UofA. My bike is back together after a round 2 rebuild for proper paint, upholstery, and other finishing touches. just yesterday, I fired it up for the first time since last November. a small clutch adjustment and AZ registration then I'll be ready to ride. now, if I can just find some nice roads. The streets in center city are terrible.

I look forward to meeting up with other Tucson members when schedules are agreeable.

keep in touch,
avenue patrick near UofA campus.

Sorry for not being here too much any more. Been on the KZ forum lately..I used the main ADOT office on Broadmont and for bond, Mike pierce 888-8888 on 22nd east of Craycroft. Maybe I should check my title to see if its a regular or salvage? Hmmm. I go to bike night at Barrio Brewery 16th and Euclid bike nights. next on is on the 2nd of July..LOTS of nice bikes.
Nice roads Hmmm. Oracle Rd north to Oracle junction o the Pinal Pioneer Parkway (I don't name 'em , I just ride 'em)about 25 mile to the Tom Mix roadside table. Valencia / Kolb to Rita Ranch/Houghton Rd. Old Vail Rd to through Vail to Houghton-Old Spanish Trail. Silverbell to Marana. Shoot, just get out of town. Green Valley to Sonita, Bisbee, ect. Stay of I-10 if you can avoid it and take the lesser traveled roads. PM me and I'll tell you more of my favorite rides. Ya like airplanes? How about a 4 airport run....

Last edited:
I made it out to the Wednesday vintage bike night at Barrio Brewery last week. I was the only one on a XS, no surprise. there was one 70s kawasaki (i think), a nice original r60 BMW, a few late model harleys, a really cool small CC vintage dirt bike, and a handful of adventure/touring setups. most weren't vintage but none were recent showroom purchases.

it'd be cool to see another xs or two. crowd of around 25-30 was welcoming and friendly. I plan to make it out on the 16th.

see you guys there.

Not so! My XS was there. True, I didn't stay long. I did see your XS. I too saw that lil' Kaw. It wasn't one of better bike nights, I'll admit.

no way! you should've said hello. I'll def keep a
better eye out next week for ya! I'll be better about introducing myself, too. being the new guy, I didn't want to barge in like I owned the place, hence the sideline parking.

come say hello. I'd love to see another XS.
avenue patrick.

Back