New guy sayin G'day and i got a few questions too

OldDog

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
G'day Guys, I'm Bill and i live in sunny Cobar which is in outback Australia. I'm a builder as well as an ADV type rider mainly. I've built quite a few interesting bikes over the years including a nitrous injected big block ZX12 and a Ducati Monster which i converted into a dirt bike, plus quite a few restorations. Bikes in the shed at the moment are a 1966 Norton Atlas and a new Yamaha 1200 Super Tenere. Having fiddled about with old bikes a lot i've bumped into the XS650 a few times but never really taken the jump until now.
So, i've been doing a little collecting of "stuff" which i intend to cobble together into several bikes

P1000202.jpg

There is an XS2 frame and the original engine (matching numbers) is there plus some of the old hardware, the guages etc I found an XS swingarm to go with it but not sure if its the right year. Theres also a set of original carbs plus a set of new dellorto PHF36's:D The complete engine in the box is newly rebuilt and supposed to be ready to race.
I also have a rephasing crankpin and a spare crankshaft. I've been interested in rephasing for a long time so finally i'll get to build one.

P1000205.jpg

I've also got this, its a replica Seeley Mark 4 frame to suit an XS motor. I have ducati monster forks fitted to it at the moment but they will be replaced with something a bit more period.

Now the questions, is the XS2 worth anything? I'm after a frame that i can cut up and maybe make a scrambler which will house a 750cc 270 degree motor with those dellortos on it, should i leave the XS2 alone and maybe do a resto on it?
Thanks
Bill

Welcome Bill.

Generally speaking the older they are the fewer there are around and so the more valuable (as a restored or unmolested original bike), the XS2 being the 3rd in the series makes it pretty rare, esp. in our country. The only XS2s I've seen in recent times are US imports.

If you had the choice to modify the earlier or later bike, go with the later.

Cheers,

I.

Welcome, Yes it is worth a bit of money , especially if the motor has been rebuilt, but if you have to buy a lot of parts, (guards, side-covers, tank), to restore the bike then it would cost more than it is worth. Parts are hard to come by and could cost an arm and leg
What has been done to the motor, by that i mean has the 256 crank and rods been replaced with the 447 parts or has the 256 been rebuilt as a 256.

You could just rephase and have some fun:thumbsup:

Thanks for the advice guys, i think i'll leave the XS2 stock and as a project for another time, i'll keep a casual eye out for bits as i go. It's basically a frame and engine forks guages and a battery box. So theres a lot to find! The engine is apart and appears to be standard, but the race prepped motor is a 447 i think. I'd rephase the prepped motor but its had the starter motor mounts machined off and has just the kicker, i'd like the option of an electric leg if i need it. I have a spare set of cases and a crank so its just a matter of sourcing parts.
I'll be taking my time as i have a truck project about to start and a dirt bike i'm building up for a charity ride. Its always busy here at che' OldDog!

Cheers
Bill

Back