new guy with a question

poorman

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
hello i am new to this site with my first xs650 but it is a basket case right now i am missing alot of parts my question is what years of crankshafts will work with my 1981 engine cases also is there some place that states what other parts and years interchange thanks in advance for any info

poorman

Somebody will pipe in with what years crankshaft you can use. Probably all except maybe the first couple of years. One way to find what parts are interchangeable in general is to find them for sale new, like at Mike's xs, and see what years they're advertised to fit. You don't necessarily have to buy it new, just use the information. You're in luck with an '81; it seems like parts are very common (I have an '81).

Any crank shaft from 74 up will fit. Most parts interchange from 74 up. They made a few changes over the years. Carbs, cam, chain adjusters. They swap out ascomplete units. Heads and rockers boxes should be used as matched set. They are machined as sets.
Some changes in the trannies. Use as a set. Ignitions, points early, TCI late.
Anything more specific, just ask.

You can always check an online parts microfishe page like this

http://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-xs650-2f-1979_model8712/partslist/

Just change back and forth through the years and items and compare part numbers. Some parts are superceeded though and might change in later years but still work. Other times they will just change the the number after the dash on a later version, improved part.

Back