New Member!

girard

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have been lurking a bit, used to have a XJ650 and just purchased a 79 XS650 Special. Real stoked! I have got a ton of plans but for now I am just gonna ride it as is, except maybe changing a few minor things. I look forward to learning.
C44F7280-7D58-4FBE-B2CA-F02B41399645.jpg

Nice looking ride you have there. Welcome to our corner of the web.

Welcome, I wouldn't change much, maybe remove the duct tape on the luggage rack and properly mount it.
Leo

Hey Guys,
- - - just purchased a 79 XS650 Special. Real stoked! I have got a ton of plans but for now I am just gonna ride it as is, except maybe changing a few minor things. I look forward to learning. - - -

Hi girard and welcome,
from the photo, the first essential change was already done, the rototiller bars have been replaced with something with better ergonomics.
And yeah, duck tape may get you home OK but it ain't a permanent fix.
BC, eh? How far between gas pumps out there? A Standard gas tank holds an extra gallon and it drops straight on. Most XS650 parts swap between years and models like LEGO.
But one thing I'd advise you to do before taking a serious ride is check the tires date stamp.
Older than 5 or 6 years they ain't gonna grip like they should any more, no matter how nice they look.

For a 1st, you got a nice one.
I'm betting another is in your near future.
Welcome!

Welcome girard;

You've got a great looking bike there! Its almost identical to my 1978 Special, except that they deleted the "Lights" switch on the right handlebar. Your lights are switched by the Safety Relay only, when the engine starts.

Obviously the PO's really took care of the bike. It must have low kms.on the odometer.

If not already done, its wise to replace the stock 4 position fuse panel with new automotive blade type fuse holders.

Its important that you check that your charging system is delivering at least 14 volts when you rev the engine up to 3000 to 3500 rpm. If you don't get that, I can recommend some easy inexpensive improvements that will make it happen.

fredintoon................girard will be fine with the Special 11 litre tank. No need to go up to the 15 litre standard tank. I've driven through the Kootenay and Okanagan regions of lower BC, on 2000 km trips, and never had to go on reserve. There will always be a gas station within the next 175 kms. You could even stretch that to 225 kms if you go onto reserve.

Welcome to the site. Nice bike. The stock exhaust looks to be in good shape. I would advise you not to modify it to make noise. The 650 sounds better with mufflers.

I've got one of those - nice ride. Welcome to the forum - great guys here - they'll help you with anything you need (read the carb guide before you ask) then read it again. :)

-bruce

Back