new to it all

trx4xman

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
just started a '82 chop today. picked up the bike for free! so here it goes. I have been lurking on here for quite some time, and have learned alot from this wealth of knowledge. I have a few questions first off I am looking at the david bird weld on hard tail with a 6" stretch and a 2" drop I am a fairly tall guy 6'5" so to my figuring this should be correct. When i do the weld do I need a jig or can I just go slow and careful? I am thinking about a sportster tank, but I have concerns that this is played out? and last but now least is there any helpful advice you guys want to throw in, words of wisdom etc? I really want this thing to be bullet proof and good for medium trips (outside aaa range)! thanks for your help!

First off welcome. I would think a 6" stretch would be fine. I like a much shorter look, but I am only 6'. And as far as the sportster tank goes, who cares if it is "played" out? If you like the looks of it, that is ALL that matters. I love how some folks go on about how cliche sporty tanks and ape hangers are....so what. I am 54 years old and back in the early seventies the choppers I cherished had sportster tanks and ape hangers (along with long tubes and no neck rake yuck..) but it is all relative. No one was running apes on baggers just a few years back, but I've had them on my Road King since 99. Now its seems a lot of folks do. I like the feel of a 15" ape. Anyway point is, you build your bike the way you want it, not the way other folks think it should be. Again welcome.

:thumbsup:

just started a '82 chop today. picked up the bike for free! so here it goes. I have been lurking on here for quite some time, and have learned alot from this wealth of knowledge. I have a few questions first off I am looking at the david bird weld on hard tail with a 6" stretch and a 2" drop I am a fairly tall guy 6'5" so to my figuring this should be correct. When i do the weld do I need a jig or can I just go slow and careful? I am thinking about a sportster tank, but I have concerns that this is played out? and last but now least is there any helpful advice you guys want to throw in, words of wisdom etc? I really want this thing to be bullet proof and good for medium trips (outside aaa range)! thanks for your help!

I don't have a chop, but have been told (since you want it bullet proof) to use a jig. Seems if you are going to put in the time and effort, use a jig.

Oh, and welcome!

Welcome.
To ask if you need to have a jig suggests you do not have much welding experience.
The question i would ask you....Can you weld and what experience have you had.
Look in the tech menu under Fabricating Frame Jig Plans

I can and have welded, but as the frame is still maintaining a certain level of rigidity I was unsure of how much warpage occurs? I will definately check out the jig plans, and thanks for the kind words. I plan to post pictures as I go, got her stripped today. no pics necessary yet.

Last edited:
frame jig =simpler than I thought. I guess I thought of something like the bench job shown later in that post, as I said earlier there is a wealth of knowledge on here. I am learning something new every day thanks guys!

Back