new to the site

Flexplorer

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi. my name is Doug. I've had my 78 since I was young. my dad bought it with a blown motor, no idea what it really was, he stole the back tire. it sat for years, then when I turned 16, I rebuilt the motor, fixed it up & rode it. then I managed to get some fork extensions, king queen seat, tank & sissy bar (long story) in grade 12, I chopped it & it rode it for years, loved it, but still not knowing what a gem I really had & what I could really do with it. 8 years ago it was in rough shape, the dealer wasn't helpful with getting parts ( i had no idea of the aftermarket support) so I bought a Vstar. the ol' 650 sat behind the garage wasting away, my wife tried convincing me to just throw it out already, but I couldn't. then last year I stumbled across what I could really do to this thing. I went to work, & now wife is glad I did not throw it out. I'm addicted to building 650's. already built 2 for my buddies. gonna be starting a third soon! heres a pic of the second generation, taken right before I chopped it, & next a pic the after-chop. I'm very excited to join this group & share our ideas!

Attachments

• IMG_0512.jpg
    IMG_0512.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_0799.jpg
    IMG_0799.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 158
Quite the transformation. Looks like you used your good eye on that second build, lol.

Nice. I like your new seat. Thought about something like that for my hardtail, but glad I put in springs. Still though,...maybe this winter. hmmmm..

That is a sweet seat custom made I assume? Theres nothing wrong with riding a vstar either I own one =)
welcome to the site

thanks for the props on the seat. it was custom. I made the seat pan & had the local upholster shop cut the foam & cover it, only $100 all said & done, I think it was a great deal. pretty comfy too. first hardtail I ever rode, I was afraid it would be too harsh, but I don't find it bad at all.

Back