New to xs650B - Manuals and Battery

goodfella961

New to Yamaha XS650
Reaction score
I am brand new to motorcycles and I purchased a 1975 Yamaha xs650b the other day. The bike has been fully restored with 6500 original miles on it. I am eager to learn all about this bike and how to repair it myself. Again being a a beginner this will take time, I do have many friends that ride and have a lot of knowledge.
Is there a good site to buy a manual from? Do I need the exact manual for the xs650B or can I just get the xs650?
Also my bike has been running and starting fine, then all of a sudden today it would not turn over. Is there certain things I should always check before starting? I plan on getting a battery tender at some point.
Thanks in advance.

First let me welcome you to the asylum.
I think I would star by charging the battery. Do you have a test meter?
Once you get the battery charged, check battery voltage. Now start the bike.
What does it meter read at idle?
Now rev the bike to 2500-3000 rpm's. What does the meter read?
Depending on what those readings are will tell if your charging system is working and how well.
From there we can help you detrermine if there is a problem and how to fix it.

I do not have a test meter, and I believe the battery is pretty new... tried to start it and it would not turn over. But I got it to kickstart today first try.

There you go. Time for your first motorcycle tool, the multimeter less than $10.00 at any farm store radioshack walmart etc. Listen to and do what Leo says, he will lead you to the truth. Not to mention he will help you find the answer to why your charging system isn't.

Meters, Do you have a Harbor Frieght near you? I like the meter they sell. I was on there website. The price has gone up. $9.99 regular price. On sale $3.99, with a coupon $2.99. You can get the coupon on the website.
It's a very good meter for the price, as good as the $40 Sun Pro meter I got at the parts store.
Don't worry to much about the folks who ask for them. It's nice to see pics on the threads. Sometimes they can help us help you.
Many people mount a volt gauge on the handle bars. I like analog gauges, some like the LED or digital gauges. I built the bracket and got the gauge at Harbor Frieght for $5.
The needle bounces around and the bulb keeps blowing, but it has saved me from being stranded on the road.
It keeps a constant check on the battery voltage. If you watch it it can tell when the chargeing system is starting to fail and you can head for home before it totally dies.
Easy to wire in, ground one side, the pther to any hot wire after the switch.

Attachments

• LostFile_JPG_65099072.jpg
    LostFile_JPG_65099072.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 134
Looks like the battery is fine, just was not holding a charge due to inactivity for a bit. I will be buying a battery tender and a meter should fix me right up. I like the idea of a volt gauge, that could be a future project.

Most look a lot better than mine. What ever one you decide on will work fine.

Back