XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need to get some new tyres for my new toy... an xs2. The ones on the bike Are
4.10/19 front
4.25/18 rear
The Haynes manual says
3.5/19 front
4.0/18 rear.

I have Metzelers on my other bikes.(suzi gt750, cl450,cb550) and they are fine.

Anybody tried Metzelers on their XS2 and which tyre size did you try

Ta
Nairb

The German made Metzelers were ok, I don't like the (nowadays) Brazil ones.

If the looks are not the most important, I should go for BT45's (Bridgestone)

A 4.10 on the front. Must be a tight fit.
As far as metric sized tires a 100/90-19 is good. A 90 is a bit small a 110 is a bit big.
On the rear a 110/90-18 is about right. A 120 may or may not fit. Depends on the tire brand and model.
As far as the brand and model of tire, there's many options. I have ran Kenda Challengers, good cheap tire but don't last long, Bridgestone Spitfire II's, great tire, Pirelli MT Route 66, great when wet.
I run Dunlop D401's on the Harley, great tire.
Others have their favorites and many will tell you theirs.
Leo

Yup that 4.10 on the front is tight. The rear is also a close fit. In fact with a plump bird on the back I bet the tyre would chafe the frame. I dident look what make they are coz they are well old.
I will sit down and see whats on offer with the 100/90 front and 110/18 rear. Not sure if we still have Avon Roadrunners here in the uk. There used to be TT100's as well. Long gone I suspect.

Thanks
Nairb

I think the TT100s are still available but are considered "vintage" which means they cost more. You're only dealing with about a 50 HP bike here so the latest, greatest new tire styles really aren't necessary or needed. A bit of over-kill, really. Any mid-priced, mid-line good brand name should serve you well.

Just finishing an XS650SE rebuild, had a brand new Metzeler Lazertec on the back when I bought it, needs a new front so will be having a 100/90 Lazertec on the front, not the cheapest tyre by far, but you get what you pay for and I know that when I'm riding on wet roads I'll be pleased I spent the extra couple of quid.

Back