Newbie ,now that I have a xs650 what should I do

dr mac

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Well finally scored a xs650 . now just need to figure out with way to go .
Wll post some pics here if I got it all figured out .

not sure what is what so bear with me on this .
first one is a TX650 I believe it is a 1972
100_0661.jpg

not sure of the year on this one maybe 78
100_0638.jpg

101_2693.jpg

I think this is the one that came with clear paper

101_2694.jpg

this one has some cool looking looneyum wheels on it .
So figure to chop one, flat track one and sell one and part one
Maybe chop the one with the front drum brakes?
right place at the right time I guess

Dr mac

Welcome, The first is a 73TX the last of the oldest frames and has a one off tank and the engines are commonly known as 256 as the con rods and pistons are different than the later models

The second is a 78SE/79SF Special points model and has steel side covers and chrome grab rail.

The third looks to be the same as the second judging by the grab rail.

The forth is either one of the 3 from 74TXA, 75XSB or 76XSC.

Some chart Data to help identify your models. Here

The frame number is on the neck of the frame and the engine no is on the front behind the front engine mount

Just realized you said one has the front drum brakes, the drum front end was on the 1970 XS1 and 1971 XS1B, These are rare and the forks are specific to these 2 years and were not on the 73TX. The 73TX came out with a disk front brake.

Here is a good description of the models and differences between them.

Have a look at the frame where the rear foot pegs mount and you will see a difference between the 3 frames. the only real difference between the Standard 74-76 frame and the Special 78/79 frame is the mounts where the top of the shocks fit the Special has the mounts forward on the frame to the Standard more upright and the Standard is more sort after for the Cafe style bike.

You should take you time to get to know what you have and what the differences are between the bikes and what frame/model you will need to suit the style of bike you want to build before you start to strip them down.

The wire wheels will fit the Specials but you need to swap the swing arm and the brake lever components as well. Look for the differences in that area between the disk and drum set up.

The Specials have a 35mm forks and are an improvement over the Standard 34mm front forks, The front end can be changed over, the Special front on the Standard frame is a good improvment

Last edited:
Plenty of optons on which way to go.
- Oiginal restoration
- Cafe
- Street tracker
- Bobber w/rear suspension
- Cruiser- Harelyesque (badlander style seat, stretched headlight)
- Choppper - hard tail
- Anything in between

Ther're all fun :bike:

Back