Newbie with an 81xs "pics"

1Tlew0

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all!! I figured I'd post up and get my name out there before I start posting in threads. A little about myself.. My name is Tim, I'm from St.Paul Mn, I build test equip. and computers for jet engines, I'm 23, and just recently purchased my 81 xs650.

The bike is a 81 xs650 that I purchased last week on the 14th. I found it on craigslist and it was out of Spirit Lake Iowa. Theres still a few things that need to be done before I take er out, but it's rideable. Clean the carbs, redo the wiring "clean up", finish the battery box, brake switch, license plate bracket etc. Overall its a pretty stellar bike and it should do me well this summer. Let me know what you think!

~Tim

bike3.jpg

bike2.jpg

bike1.jpg

In the back of the truck :D
9448_10150120314769508_841629507_6072465_442123_n1.jpg

Welcome, hope you and your new xs share lots of great times and many many miles of enjoyment... Bike looks great shouldnt take too much work to have it just the way you want.. What type/size and brand of tires are on it?

Hope you can make it to the Donnie Smith bike show at the river center. Ardcore Choppers will be there.

Oh I was planning on going!! Cant wait!

Welcome, hope you and your new xs share lots of great times and many many miles of enjoyment... Bike looks great shouldnt take too much work to have it just the way you want.. What type/size and brand of tires are on it?

Thanks for the comment. Yeah a little work and she'll be ready. The fronts are Pirellis 4.00-19 MT53 "don't quote me on that, as I can't remember exactly" The rears are Formula 5.30-16.

I was on ebay and they wanted $100+ for a custom battery box with fuse holder. F' that. So, I went to a Military Surplus store over the weekend and picked up an ammunition box for $8. Cut her down turned it into a battery box. Going to do a little sanding and give her a coat of paint. Pics to follow. :thumbsup:

Heres the battery box after I welded it together. I also cut the top, but forgot take pictures. After it was all welded together I sand blasted it and filled the holes with some JB. Its a cheap easy way to do a battery box if you have the tools to do it.

2011-03-20003951.jpg

Welcome to the forum!! And what a nice lookin bike, your gonna love it!! Keep us posted on what you add to her!! Enjoy!

XsC

Thanks, I sure hope so :). I still need to figure out the charging system. I think the wires are backwards but I'll have to take her apart and figure it out.

needs a rear(imo) fender. looks like a tc bros. hardtail. other than that, what did you pay? looks good.

I was thinking about a rear fender, but can't make my mind up. I've seen some with and without and they both look great either way. Yes you are correct and its a tcbro's. And I paid $2000 :D

Finished the battery box and it looks killer. Running the wires and everything tomorrow to gice it a clean look. So if theres anyone in the mn area thats willing to come over and help comw on over... Beer food pop women we got it. Will post updated pics tomorrow.. For anyone thats wanna give me tips to make it look better letme know

Cheers

Back