newbie with possible 650 purchase

Welcome to the forum. Just a heads up you will get more responses if you post this under the garage section. As far a worth of a bike its entirely up to what your wanting to spend. from what I have seen you can buy these for around 3k-4k done up running great. I have seen project bikes all torn apart going for around 600-1200. So its kind of up to you what you want to spend. I can tell you that the charging system on these bikes are usually crap. The best thing to do is buy a PMA which will replace the stock charging system. In my opinion it is best to buy from Hugh at Hughs Handbuilt. His username is Punksalar I think. He is the XS650 Guru and is the best small business owner in the world. The guy gives out free tech advice to peeps that buy his competitors parts. Save yourself the headaches and buy a PMA from him trust me. I ran into an issue with installation of my PMA because my crank case was slightly different then all the others, I talked to Hugh about it he figured out a solution and 3 days later I have all the new parts I needed didn't charge me any extra and it all worked perfect. Stand up guy for sure. That kit runs about $319 I think. If you do decide to do a PMA then you dont need a battery at all. You can run a small capacitor in place of the battery, or you can run the battery if you want. The other thing that doesn't perform outstanding on these bikes is the ignition. For ignition look up Pamco Pete the dude is an electrical guru. Since your bike is a 82 I believe it has a tci ignition in which case you would have to switch to points ( I may have that backwards) and get a mechanical advance. You can get a full kit from Mikesxs.com will prob run you around $200.00 I think. Mikesxs.com is the best website for XS650 supplies. The only thing is that some of their parts are not all that great. Be sure to read the forums about Mikesxs a lot of people have posted parts to stay away from when it comes to them. For example the mechanical advance from MikesXS seems to be hit or miss, for some peeps it works and for others it doesn't. You will be able to get a carb rebuild kits from MikesXS although maybe check with 5 twins on whether to order a rebuild kit or not. 5 Twins is a great member and posts amazing instructional threads with great pics. He is also very helpful with carb related issues and pretty much everything else from what I have seen. I dont know much about the starters since mine is kick only so I can't really help you much there. I hope this answers some of your questions let me know if you have any more.

Back