no pictures showing

willis

xsive compulsive disorder
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Lately I am having troubles seeing pictures that others are posting via my desktop computer. It's strange because some pictures will show while others do not. If I log into the site via my iphone, I can see all the posted pictures. Is there some setting I need to adjust on my desktop?

I've had the same problem on my tablet, for years, but seems to be limited to certain hosting sites, like imgur and photobucket. No known fix, maybe a browser issue. Chrome not available for my Samsung Galaxy 8.9 tablet, I think it's too old or under powered...

Can you show us where the pictures are that aren't showing up on your desktop that are showing up on your phone? Perhaps they will have something in common that will give clues to the problem.

Okay, I'm not sure if this is what Willis is experiencing, but here's my scenario:

Snapshot of a thread with offsite hosted pics replaced with placeholders:
SC20160318-232527.jpg

Now, if I enter the URL of one of the posted pics into the browser's address bar, like:
http://i.imgur.com/KOiHa22.jpg
Then, that image will appear in the browser.

Now, I can refresh the thread, and that particular picture will appear:
SC20160318-232730.jpg

But only for awhile.
Sometime later, the thread reverts back to the pic placeholders.
Like some sort of timeout happened.

Wierd, huh?

An example for me is in the classifieds, member erklep has his sportster listed. Shows fine on my iPhone but does not display on desktop computer

erklep's sportster photos are hosted on photobucket. So as TwoMany pointed out it has to with externally hosted pictures that I really don't have any control over. TwoMany, are you using a tablet? Have you guys looked into your settings on those browsers to see if anything is blocking that content that is not hosted on the site. Perhaps a security setting or ad blocker? Maybe it thinks they could be ads?

Yep, 3-year old Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9. It doesn't have very robust browser setting options, and popup block makes no difference. I used to get the pics fine up until around summer 2013. Only happens with certain hosting sites, not all. Chased a variety of ideas, no fix, except for that scenario in post #4...

Chrome not available for my tablet.

There's a couple of other browsers available for it, but low resources and memory on my tablet means rob Peter to pay Paul.

So, I just tolerate it...

Back