No ruddy spark now!!!!!!

oldbiker

oldbiker
Reaction score
hi guys,, well friday just gone,, i had it running {1976 xs650}although it was a little rough ,,i thought not far from the mark,,, now i,ve got NO spark at all ,,,the loom has not got a bank of fuses that i could check,,, and the lights and starter motor all kick over,,, i,ve got red/white double going to the brown wire on mikes coils.. and the fawn and orange double female plugs going to condensors and the small orange fawn wire near the condensors .. any ideas would greatly be appreciated please regards oldbiker....

If the starter works the kill switch is working so you should be getting battery voltage to the coils.
Check the voltage at the coils, the red/white wire. If no voltage there you need to trace the red/white wire to find where the voltage stops.
If you have voltage there then the problem is in the points, condensers, or coils. I would check the connections, are they still connected? Are they tight?

Your '76 should have one main fuse under the left side cover, not a fuse box with several fuses. The multi fuse box was only on the Special model starting in '78.

I'm not sure you have your points wired correctly yet. The R/W power to the browns sounds right but the wiring to the points and condensers may not be. On my '78, which may be slightly different wire color wise to your '76, an orange and a gray wire ran from the points sets to around the top motor mount and condensers. Here, they connected to a double orange and a double gray along with one black from each condenser. Then these ran to each coil orange .....

CondenserHook-up2.jpg

So, you want one points wire and one condenser wire running to a double, then it's wire running to a coil.

Back