No spark, how to test my setup and where to start?

Rexxis

Almost there...
Reaction score
Bike is a '79, Hugh's PMA and reg/rec, sparx capacitor, pamco ultimate. Kick only. just finishing the build and I have never had the bike running.
Not getting any spark at the plugs. I figure I'll trace all my wires for continuity tonight. If that's all good then I figure next I'll start testing the Pma, capitor, ignition and reg/rec.

I have very limited electrical knowledge and basically I need to know how to test each of these components and what kind of reading I should get.

Starting w the Pma, what setting should I put my meter on and where do I make contacts between the meter and the Pma? What kind of numbers should I get?

Same for the pamco, Meter setting and contact points? What kind of numbers should I get?

Told ya I had very limited knowledge w electrical..

Thanks!

Last edited:
I would start with the ignition, use a battery any charged 12v will do. Wire it up to the ignition to the battery per the pamco instructions and it should start, if not then you eliminated several other possibilities.

IT STARTED!!! Of the the battery albeit. Rpm's went way high so I shut her off quick.

Im running the 750 kit w open intake and exhaust. 2 up on the mains and 1 up on the pilot. Why are the Rpm's shooting up? Slides move freely. I blipped the throttle and the rpm's went up more so it's not starting at max rpm but it sounds close.. No tach..

Still have an issue w the pma and/or capacitor. Where do I go from here?

Last edited:
I would check for a vac leak. Once you get control of rpm run it again off of the battery and then you can check the pma output to your cap should be in the neighborhood of 13.5v at 3500-4k. I dont run a tach either but I did hook it up for tuning and just zip tied it to the handlebar. If you have a xscharge (or otherwise for that matter) check the crimps on the regulator connectors

Back