No spark

TGOOD

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Went to start bike after sitting for about a week or so .Bike started and then cut off . First thought was the carbs of course. Pulled them and went through. Same thing .Was running 8 mm suppression core wires .Bought copper core and new plugs. Same thing . So I ordered a new coil. A lower ohm coil. Still no spark . Maybe ignition unit or rectifier???

So it's a heavily modified bike running a TCI? I'd start with checking grounds very carefully. Same for +12. A 12 volt light bulb like from a tail light or turn signal with some leads and alligator clips makes a good voltage tester, helps show the difference between a GOOD 12 volts and weak connections.

So it's a heavily modified bike running a TCI? I'd start with checking grounds very carefully. Same for +12. A 12 volt light bulb like from a tail light or turn signal with some leads and alligator clips makes a good voltage tester, helps show the difference between a GOOD 12 volts and weak connections.
Mr. gggGary, should I have 12.3 V on both sides of coil ? I found out that my lights hooked up to the positive side of the coil I guess was take from ignition . Of course ,after I purchased a new coil and installed . Bike ran great for a couple days and went to fire it up and it started then cut off.

one side should be 12ish, other side should vary when motor's cranked. Not quite clear on what all you are saying in your last post....

With key on and not turning motor over, I have 12v on both terminals of coil. Is that an indication off the coil being bad ?

I have a 3.3 ohm XS performance green coil .I have 3.6 ohms terminal to terminal .I have 15.7 from spark plug wire to spark plug wire with NGK boots off on 20k setting. I have no reading on one boot and .94 on the other on 20k setting .is coil , wires , and boots ok ??

I have a 3.3 ohm XS performance green coil .I have 3.6 ohms terminal to terminal .

When testing low resistances, test your leads first. Short them together, take a reading. Then, subtract that reading from your coil measurement. For example, if the shorted leads show 0.3 ohms, subtract that 0.3 from 3.6, and get 3.3ohms.

... I have no reading on one boot and .94 on the other on 20k setting ...

Set your meter on the 2k scale and retest the plug caps. You may have 2 different caps, one at zero ohms, the other with the internal resistor...

Meter zeros out . Both of them were 5k ordered from Mike's Xs .went back and double checked. I ordered new ones so we'll see .

How are the connections at the TCI box. If there is power to both sides of the coil, it seems like either the coil is bad which probably wouldn’t occur unless you were running the bike with one or both of the wires disconnected . Or if you have continuous power running to them for example leaving your key on, or wiring them so that power is constantly running even with the bike off. If the coils are new. I think it would have to be a TCI box issue. As that box tells it when to fire. It seems like it’s not telling it to fire. Some corrosion , a disconnected wire, or wires that are mixed up might be at play. Hopefully the box itself isn’t bad, there has been luck in repairing them. There are threads outlining that process. The only way to test that really from my knowledge is to swap it out with a box that you KNOW works.

Check the small magnet on rotor ,it goes weak and the pick ups won’t detect it and will give little to no spark, you can epoxy a new rare magnet,from radio shack, on top ,I actually put two on mine had to put small washers under pickups to raise it a little for clearance but with one there is plenty of clearance! Was having same problem and it was on a new o.e.m. rotor! You might be having the same problem, hope it is ,it’s an easy fix and mine has been doing fine ever since! But I am going to go ahead and get a brand new rotor soon! Hopes this helps a lil, good luck!

Figured out my NGK resistor caps were bad . They are 5k and one was reading 0.00 and the other one was reading 0.98. That would be like having one or both plugs not connected right ??? And ... Burn up a coil ??

Figured out my NGK resistor caps were bad . They are 5k and one was reading 0.00 and the other one was reading 0.98. That would be like having one or both plugs not connected right ??? And ... Burn up a coil ??

Yeah, those caps, good design, but they do go bad.

Just for kicks, unscrew one of those connectors, pull the insides out. There's a lot of connections being made in there. 30 - 40 year old caps can be filled with corrosion. That innermost connection can get too corroded to even be cleaned to make contact.

Scott

1333.jpeg

Was running 8mm suppression core automotive wires ! Don't know if caused anything or not

Was running 8mm suppression core automotive wires ! Don't know if caused anything or not

Oh, what size wire is recommended for the coil? You should probably be using non-suppression metal core wire and NGK caps.

I've tried automotive caps, never liked the connections at wire or plug, and most are not a water resistant fit on our smaller dia. plugs.

Scott

Finally realized this older motor needs the 7mm copper core wires. Learning the resistance put of the ignition .Still cloudy but getting clearer .lol

You can use 8mm wire, depends on what size the coil is designed for. My NAPA, remnant of an old "speed shop", stocks 7mm and 8mm metal core wire, nice silicone stuff, sold by the foot. Then the cap has to match the size of the wire. Some NGK caps are designated for 7mm or 8mm wire, seems like a problem getting the wire centered if using 7mm, to me.

Yeah, mismatched coil, wire and caps could very well cause no spark.

Scott

Back