No tension on cam chain

fancyketchup

Condiment Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all, just put my motor back together and my cam chain is super loose! Its so loose that I can push my tensioner until it touches the other side of the chain! Is it possible that the chain has worn this much? I replaced the front guide and all the gaskets... any ideas of what might be going on? I have a new chain but no rivet tool.

Sounds like it's not on the bottom crank sproket or cam sprocket. They can stretch, but not that much. I'm bettig that you don't have the rocker cover on yet so you can see that it is on your cam sprocket, but I thinking you missed the sprocket to the right or left on the crank.

The cam and crank rotate together and stay in time... and its an old one. And yes, I have the rocker cover off. Im going to go ahead and just replace the chain with a new one... I just cant imagine anything else that could cause this.

I would think that it's physically impossible for a cam chain to stretch that much. If it did, that would mean that the sprockets are probably ruined from wearing with the chain....

I've never run this motor so I'm wondering if it is the wrong chain. When I get the new one I will compare it. Like I said before the crank and cam are turning in time when I rotate it by hand so I don't understand how it could be off the crank.

You can remove the oil pan and filter from the bottom of the engine, look up inside, and see if the chain is on (or off) the crank sprocket.

You can remove the oil pan and filter from the bottom of the engine, look up inside, and see if the chain is on (or off) the crank sprocket.

That won't be the problem if the top and bottom end are turning and remaining in time.

Something doesn't add up. Gotta be the wrong chain.

Yes tehy can wear that much. My 75 was worn that much. Themain problem will be the noise of the parts hitting together. A chain that worn will jump time very easy.
Leo

Back