Non starting XS2

Stone Hands

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have a very hard to start xs2. I have done the basics, fuel, spark ect. My question is this. Can you have enough spark to have your electric starter turn the engine over but not enough spark for ignition? I mean, I using my kick starter, I have taken off a plug boot to be sure I am seeing a spark and I do. I cannot get my bike to catch.

An internal combustion engine needs the following things to run:

1. Fuel & Air- Is your gas reasonably fresh? Is it getting to the cylinders in the proper amounts (not flooding)? Air cleaner elements free-flowing? Choke working? Air leaks around carb boots?

2. Compression - have you checked it? Anything over 100 PSI should at least allow it to start. Checked the valve gap? Cam chain adjustment?

3. Spark - Hot enough? If you can see it, it should at least TRY to start, but if it's weak it may just go away under compression. At the right time? Have you cleaned and gapped the points and done at least a static timing check?

Do you have the OEM electrical system? Mods? PMA? CDI? Points? etc
Knowing your info is a good starting point for those on here that can point you in a solid direction.
If you haven't changed anything before the issue that too is good info.

Do you have the OEM electrical system? Mods? PMA? CDI? Points? etc
Knowing your info is a good starting point for those on here that can point you in a solid direction.
If you haven't changed anything before the issue that too is good info.

Yes my 650 is all OEM. Standard stock electrics.

1. Fuel & Air- Is your gas reasonably fresh? Is it getting to the cylinders in the proper amounts (not flooding)? Air cleaner elements free-flowing? Choke working? Air leaks around carb boots?

2. Compression - have you checked it? Anything over 100 PSI should at least allow it to start. Checked the valve gap? Cam chain adjustment?

3. Spark - Hot enough? If you can see it, it should at least TRY to start, but if it's weak it may just go away under compression. At the right time? Have you cleaned and gapped the points and done at least a static timing check?

I have never checked compression. Fuel is fresh, have filters on all lines. Not sure about the choke. I have adjusted the cam chain but have never checked gap.

When was the last time the engine started and ran well? Have you done any work on the engine/carbs/ignition since that last runing time?

bike always started and ran well. I changed out the tank and cleaned it. Had a hole in one of the carb diaphragms so I replaced both. Now it seems to want to flood out and does not appear to come close to starting.

All O.E.M. would mean the stock ignition with points. How old are those points? Points are a wear item and need replacing about every 10 to 15K. Timing also changes as the points wear. As it gets farther off, the bike will become harder to start and eventually not start at all. Worn out points sets will do the same thing.

Back