Not XS (BMW) an electrical troubleshooting thread

Yamabeemer .
E301F992-7BDB-4E8E-B3F6-94CE7E9606BD.jpeg

It gets cold in New Mexico... "The mean elevation of the state is 5,700 feet above sea level ranking New Mexico as the fourth highest state"... Just say'n :)
The frostbite in my fingers is courtesy of my stupidity and New Mexico's wildly fluctuating weather. :rolleyes:

I did it!
Yup i can now SEE the cover I need to remove, to get at and remove the belt, to remove the pulley, that the hall sensor lives under.
View attachment 166260 View attachment 166261
Ya know..... once you peel off all the mascara and lipstick.... that's one butt ugly bike Gary. :lmao:
Don't ever let her out and about without the make-up. ;)

I have heard that BMW had some fancy design software that could design a tank to fill every open space under the fairing. 6.6 gallons 50 MPG.... strap on a diaper and go 300 miles tween stops.
6.5 gallon tank. Once went over 325 miles on a tank. Was in the U.P., on second reserve and sweating bullets when I finally found a gas station.
Oh by the way the tank the tank comes off as easily as a XS650 tank. Unless it's full.
While you were working on your BMW I was riding mine today.:rock:
upload_2020-5-6_15-49-36.png

upload_2020-5-6_15-49-3.png

Ya know..... once you peel off all the mascara and lipstick.... that's one butt ugly bike Gary. :lmao:
Don't ever let her out and about without the make-up. ;)
Ya know this is true for just about every bike thats covered with tupperware...my ST1100 is even more hideous without her tupperware...That is the reason they have it......

Ya know this is true for just about every bike thats covered with tupperware...my ST1100 is even more hideous without her tupperware...That is the reason they have it......

I'll grant ya, that's true in a lot of cases. My FJ is one exception. I took off the windshield (semi-ugly, but mostly ineffective and noisy) the hand guards (BUTT-ugly, noisy and ineffective) relocated the tail light and license plate holder (looked like a hemorrhoid) and some brackets off the back of the seat that I couldn't quite identify - not sure if they were panic handles for the passenger or intended as tie points for cargo. Looks MUCH better as a semi-naked bike. I'd take off those stupid transformer-looking tank covers if I could.

I'll grant ya, that's true in a lot of cases. My FJ is one exception. I took off the windshield (semi-ugly, but mostly ineffective and noisy) the hand guards (BUTT-ugly, noisy and ineffective) relocated the tail light and license plate holder (looked like a hemorrhoid) and some brackets off the back of the seat that I couldn't quite identify - not sure if they were panic handles for the passenger or intended as tie points for cargo. Looks MUCH better as a semi-naked bike. I'd take off those stupid transformer-looking tank covers if I could.
I have seen folks take wrecked ST11s' and turn them into naked streetfighters..They do clean them up so it can be made to look ...less hideous...

6.5 gallon tank. Once went over 325 miles on a tank. Was in the U.P., on second reserve and sweating bullets when I finally found a gas station.
Oh by the way the tank the tank comes off as easily as a XS650 tank. Unless it's full.
While you were working on your BMW I was riding mine today.:rock:
View attachment 166285
View attachment 166284
Man thats a sweet beemer...;)

For those following along on the issue.
So it's never just the internet's this is what's wrong with it. Am I right? LOL Supposedly the wire insulation breaks down and causes shorting out.
Well that wasn't the issue this time.
This sensor lives under the alternator belt pulley on the crank end. The signal generator, that cat food can shaped stamping, is GLUED inside the pulley! Then the fixing bolt keeps it all tight once installed. Well sometime in the past the belt failed ( I suspect it failed twice) First time the pulley was removed debris cleaned out, BUT the glue failed, signal generator ring installed slightly off center. Belt failed again, second time the belt shards were NOT cleaned out from under pulley. That crap getting stirred around and the offset ring had beat the sensors up pretty good. For peace of mind I ordered a new German aftermarket sensor, $185 compared to $335 for the part from BMW. so a couple days for the part to get here from Denver then back together.

The debris from the belt

20200506_173746.jpg
20200506_175426.jpg

The back of the signal generator and inside of pulley it's supposed to be glued to.
20200507_075421.jpg

Parts cleaned up signal generator ready to be reglued to pulley. The glue intended to locate before bolt locks it to crankshaft, note small tab fits notch in crank, setting timing. Those sensors look beat up, forced, bent back, new assembly ordered.
20200507_075359.jpg

Back