OEM Handle Bar Right Hand Controls with Light on/off Switch

peterg

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I'm hoping someone knows this. Isthe early model OEM Handle Bar Right Hand light switch a SPDT on/on type switch? I'm hoping it is so I can use it in a custom application.

K-S-12-0054-Vintage-Style-Handlebar-Switch.jpg

In a normal wiring situation the on off switch controls all power to the lights circuit...........Off no lights.........on power to the left switch high/ low beam and gauge backing lights...........

Ignition switch can control the Tail light and gauge lights when in a park situation

Making your own wiring, (removing the RLU), the L/B, (power), from the on/off switch to the RLU can be run straight to the left bar High/Low beam switch
77_XS650D Ig-Switches Text copy.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Skull. From the wiring diagram it looks like when the switch is in the off position none of the wire connected to one another wire and in the on position they are all connected to each other. In that case I'll need a separate SPDT toggle switch to turn the headlamp on/off and a later model right hand control. My plan is to have a warning light on when the headlamp is off which I what the SPDT switch will accomplish.

'78 was the last year that the right hand control came with a headlight on-off switch, at least in the U.S. anyway. But, that switch was somewhat "handicapped" because Yamaha also added the headlight auto-on relay that year. As soon as the motor started, the headlight was turned on regardless of what position the handlebar switch was in. Also, the tail light was no longer tied into and controlled by the headlight on-off switch. It was wired directly to the ignition switch and came on with it. If you want to add an earlier right handlebar switch with the headlight on-off switch, you'll have to make some minor wiring changes. If you want it to control the tail light too, a few more changes will be needed.

Back