Official CX Refurb Thread

Good News/Bad News...

I have brakes, which is Good.

The check level window on the master cylinder is crazed and leaking which obviously is Ungood. Meditating on various ways to cure that. Silicone doesn't seem to have worked, but I didn't give it a lot of time to set up either. The Smart Thing would be a new master cylinder. The Redneck Thing would be to replace the plastic window or block it off.

Hmmmmmmm. :thumbsdown:

Good News/Bad News...

I have brakes, which is Good.

The check level window on the master cylinder is crazed and leaking which obviously is Ungood. Meditating on various ways to cure that. Silicone doesn't seem to have worked, but I didn't give it a lot of time to set up either. The Smart Thing would be a new master cylinder. The Redneck Thing would be to replace the plastic window or block it off.

Hmmmmmmm. :thumbsdown:
If a replacement isn’t easy to find and economical , blocking it off seems like a viable option. I’ve owned several bikes without site glasses. If there’s no leaks, you shouldn’t have to keep checking the level.

Stainless line, yes, but I don't think I'd do a kit unless it was leaking. The issue I've had with most Hondas I've ridden or worked on is they're just too civilized and refined. They have no "personality", lol. My buddy had a Silverwing and I rode it, and well ..... it did nothing for me, lol, too "blah".
and, may I add...........
The SilverWing 500 I worked on had many electrical problems, mostly safety shit that did not work and prevented troubleshooting.

After it did crank, carbs were gooky/oouky and set lean for emissions. Not a good combo.

Carbs done, mains and pilot flowed for comparison. Repaired factory lean to reality.
Started immediately.
Only to find chirping head gasket.

With the forward sets, geometry and chirps, I gave it a few test runs.

Un-ridable and embarrassing. Feet forward? NO
Chirping on every shift? NO

good luck

cliff

Feller on the CX forum pointed me at Fee Bay and sure enough, replacement sight glasses "guaranteed to fit". We shall see. $10 for four sets of lens and gasket. I can't imagine needing the extras (assuming I don't break one putting it in...) so if someone else has a need, hit me up.

Sight glass kits came in the mail yesterday. Seems like good quality, consists of an o-ring, plastic lens and steel outer ring. Installed one and while it was a bit of a booger to get started, it fit well and seems to be working.

VHT gloss black and JB Weld Extreme Heat are here. I'll do the patches and get back to y'all on that, but need to wait for the primer before painting.

Is this
Sight glass kits came in the mail yesterday. Seems like good quality, consists of an o-ring, plastic lens and steel outer ring. Installed one and while it was a bit of a booger to get started, it fit well and seems to be working.

VHT gloss black and JB Weld Extreme Heat are here. I'll do the patches and get back to y'all on that, but need to wait for the primer before painting.
JB Weld extreme heat a new product? Looks like it is "NOT" a two part epoxy type thing, water based!

Just did some digging as I recalled using something like this from Cat years ago under their part number of 2P2333 that came in a pint can. That has been replaced by a Loctite number of MR2000. That 8 oz can now goes for $175.00!

I See Home Despot has the JB Weld Extreme Heat in a 3 oz jar for about $9.00, a little better price!

muff3.jpg

We shall see how it works out. Apparently once you mix up what's in the jar, it's "use it or lose it" time. That makes it even more expensive, but still cheaper than a new muffler.

Thanks for the tip on Deep Homo, I expect I'll have uses for it in the future.

Just a quick FYI on the JB Weld product:

I went down to check on the patch and it seemed completely cured at least at the surface. I'll leave it for a couple of days as I have other things on my plate.

However, I was pleasantly surprised to find the mixed goop in the jar was still pliable. Apparently it air cures. I applied a bit more where the original patch had sunk/contracted a bit.

muff1.jpg

muff2.jpg

Muffler damage after excavating the worst of the crusty-rusty.

muff3.jpg

muff4.jpg

Patched and sanded back to shape as much as possible given the damage. You can also see where I roughed up what's left of the chrome to give the primer something to grab.

muff6.jpg

First coat of VHT primer. I'll squirt a second coat on and let it cure overnight then spray the gloss black top coat on tomorrow.

However, I was pleasantly surprised to find the mixed goop in the jar was still pliable. Apparently it air cures. I applied a bit more where the original patch had sunk/contracted a bit.
If it is air cure, blow some propane in the jar, cover it up and check in a week or two. That would prove the "Air Cure" theory.

Back